Bow drill - Kochanski style

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
In Bush Craft, Mors Kochanski has diagrams of a bow drill where instead of cutting a notch in a board he uses a a forked stick and drills into the crotch (of the forked stick ... :roll: ). Anyone tried this method? He also has daigrams of the two-stick method and the hole-through - all interesting variations on the notched board theme.
I'll have to give it a go - probably using ivy or willow.

ditchfield

Nomad
Nov 1, 2003
Somerset
I received this book through the post yesterday along with: Nessmuk's 'Woodcraft and Camping'. Kephart's 'Camping and Woodcraft' and 'The Traditional Bowyers Bible part 1'. I noticed the techniques mentioned, very interesting. Its a great book, lots of innovative ideas that I've never seen before.

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
I tried it after reading his wonderfull book. I think once an individual has mastered that first miracle of a glowing ember different methods are just neat variations. What Kochanski shows subtly, if that was even his intent; is that survival/bushcraft is not a set piece. I've seen folks learn friction firemaking with store bought cedar fence panels for the baseboard. A few talented ( or lucky :-x ) individuals managed fire remarkably quickly. Those same people later went out in the real world and were totally lost. Nature just doesn't give us nice flat cedar panels. Once a skill is mastered, people should practise with the worst materials. Anything you do after that; fire,shelter,wooden spoon will seem better and EASY.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Excellent point Chris ... I agree that all of Kotchanski's work seems well grounded in the real-world.

Oct 16, 2003
Surrey
I have had a couple of attempts at using a bow drill, without success. I am using lime wood, which apparently is a good wood to use. However, my main problem is the cord: I can't figure out is what cord to use that doesn't stretch of move unevenly. Can anyone offer any advice?

Thanks

Andrew

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Leather or paracord seem the best choice, with natural stuff being better than man-made.
Hope this helps!

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Make sure its good quality para cord and not the cheap stuff which wears/frays thin and snaps quite quickly when used for a fire drill ;-)

:)
Ed

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Orindeed while doing anything else for that matter. :shock:

Ed said:
Make sure its good quality para cord and not the cheap stuff which wears/frays thin and snaps quite quickly when used for a fire drill ;-)

Ed

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Adi007 said:
Or indeed while doing anything else for that matter. :shock:

Ed said:

Ed

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
i seem to remeber reading that lawnmower starter cord is the most long lasting of the synthetic cords.

cheers, and.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE