Bought a Treadle operated Singer 201k

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Eragon21

May 30, 2009
Aberdare
Today I bought a Singer 201k (Treadle Operated), for those who know this machine please could you answer a quick question as I have looked on google and it is not immediately obvious if I can or not but can it be converted to run on an electric motor

Cheers

nic a char

Settler
Dec 23, 2014
scotland
Yes you can convert all of them - not necessarily with Singer motors - better to stick with the eco-friendly, controllable, treadle though...

Eragon21

May 30, 2009
Aberdare
Thanks Tjurved - I thought that it could be done, although I am not sure that I will but atleast the option is there

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
The motors are controllable too. If you get a good foot pedal, gentle pressure will have it running really slowly, it picks up speed as you apply more pressure.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Get an original singer. Its what they were designed for!!

That's the hammer! You can get a good motor for one of these for not much more than £30, and there is a special rod and control box that fits to the cabinet so you use the treadle plate as the motor control; this leaves the work invisible and means you only have one very unobtrusive power cord that won't get in the way. You might have to wait a while for one of these to come along, but they do pop up. The other option is to buy a wrecked one and use the bits you need from it.

You'll be very pleasantly surprised how well the treadle works though; most who have them wouldn't swap to electric. Enjoy your machine :)

Eragon21

May 30, 2009
Aberdare
That's the hammer! You can get a good motor for one of these for not much more than £30, and there is a special rod and control box that fits to the cabinet so you use the treadle plate as the motor control; this leaves the work invisible and means you only have one very unobtrusive power cord that won't get in the way. You might have to wait a while for one of these to come along, but they do pop up. The other option is to buy a wrecked one and use the bits you need from it.

You'll be very pleasantly surprised how well the treadle works though; most who have them wouldn't swap to electric. Enjoy your machine :)

I am sure I will I am picking it up tomorrow - had for a very reasonable price as well.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Let's see some pics of her then; we do love Singers here and don't usually see the treadle jobbies :)

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Yes Gareth, I can see them clearly. Looks like a nice machine, and the cabinet appears to be in much better condition than most. I can't see too clearly but the Singer badge above the serial number seems to have a blue surround; if so it's one of the 100 yr. centenary model :)

Eragon21

May 30, 2009
Aberdare
Yes Gareth, I can see them clearly. Looks like a nice machine, and the cabinet appears to be in much better condition than most. I can't see too clearly but the Singer badge above the serial number seems to have a blue surround; if so it's one of the 100 yr. centenary model :)

Better pic for you

pic4.jpg

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
That looks to be in very good condition and nice and clean - and yes, I think it is a "centenary".........Nothing different but just part of the Singer history that's nice to have :)

I don't know if you're aware, but you have to be sure that the left hand door is open fully before you open out the leaf of the top; it's not designed to support itself and will snap it's hinges without warning.

You've made a very good catch there, by the looks of things, and don't tell Sonni but you've got one machine that he hasn't got in his grubby mitts!!! :)

Eragon21

May 30, 2009
Aberdare
I don't know if you're aware, but you have to be sure that the left hand door is open fully before you open out the leaf of the top; it's not designed to support itself and will snap it's hinges without warning.

Thanks for letting me know as I didn't know that

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE