Bothying

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Spent last weekend in a Scottish bothy called Craig in the Torridon area. Does anyone else enjoy this sort of wild experience and if so what is your favourite bothy? :)

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
I was up in a few in the Cairngorms last February.

We had an excellent time - they are just open door huts Spikey, first come first served, a brilliant excuse to end the day early.

One piece of advice - take some whisky and a couple of things to burn!

I wrote in the book - 'roaring flames and roaring laughs' and I think that said it all.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Spikey DaPikey said:
How does this work ? Do you just turn up or do ya havta pay etc ?

They sound fun, but i have no idea how it works :eek:
Hi Spike......Bothy's are great, they are small cottages in remote area's, with a place to sleep and a fire place too, very basic and its first come, first served, though sometimes you have to share with others. They are free to use and you just leave the place as you find it.......

faff

Tenderfoot
Nov 10, 2006
south wales
iv been a member for a few years on and off now and stayed in about 30 or so bothies.the best one is camasunary on sky and my local bothy grwyne fawr

hammy

Forager
Sep 28, 2004
Pegswood, Northumberland.
I would just like to add to the comment 'first come first served'
This should read 'there is no such thing as a full bothy'
The areas they are in provide emergency shelter, as well as a free weekend retreat. :)
I'm a member and have been using bothies for over 20 years.
Do check out there web site and forum.
http://www.mountainbothies.org.uk/index.php

And to keep on thread my fav bothy is Sorlies on the Knoydart peninsular, superb location.

(7 - 9 hour walk from road or get a boat)

Sourlies---Duncan-McCallum.jpg

Last edited:

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
I'd never heard of bothies before - great website, very interesting
history the MBA seems to have had and they've put their history
very nicely in context.

Fascinating insight into something unknown to me :)

I like the idea of the work parties to repair bothies - although it's a
slightly alien world to me "The work party planned for this weekend
at Corrour has again been cancelled due to helicopter unavailability."

Jo

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
Ah Hammy :eek:
You were'nt supposed to tell the rest of the world about Sourlies, mind its a fair walk in, but really worth the effort.
On your last visit was the "beast" still visiting @ night.
Some of my best memories are sitting in that bothy, eating mussels & pasta, sharing conversation (and a wee dram)with complete strangers, while the weather was howling outside.
My favourite mountain sits behind it too.
N

hammy

Forager
Sep 28, 2004
Well the last time I was there four or five beasts visited through the night and ate all the food that wasn't suspended from the ceiling. :)
The coastal foraging in this area is second to none, the muscles being a delicacy (best to collect the day before eating and place in a bucket of fresh water over night to purge them. Lots of different sea weeds too Mmmmmmm.
Long lines on the beach too.
Any way This is all I can say on the subject, (top secret)
Visit the web site for more info.

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Neil1 said:
Ah Hammy :eek:
You were'nt supposed to tell the rest of the world about Sourlies, mind its a fair walk in, but really worth the effort.
On your last visit was the "beast" still visiting @ night.
Some of my best memories are sitting in that bothy, eating mussels & pasta, sharing conversation (and a wee dram)with complete strangers, while the weather was howling outside.
My favourite mountain sits behind it too.
N
A few years ago a friend of mine ate some mussels here. He was paralised the following day, not from the whisky but with shellfish poisoning! Had to stay in his bunk till it wore off! :confused:

hammy

Forager
Sep 28, 2004
fred gordon said:
A few years ago a friend of mine ate some mussels here. He was paralised the following day, not from the whisky but with shellfish poisoning! Had to stay in his bunk till it wore off! :confused:

Hence the overnight purge in fresh water to clean them out, gets all the sand out as well. :)

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Hi all
I was in Knoydart over the New Year and I though you might be intrested in the Kilchoan Estate Bothy. Its about 2km outside of Inverie on the way to Meall Bhiudie though it would make a good base for both Luinne Bheinn and Beinn Bhiuide, or perhaps as a starter for longer extreme Bothying trips?!?
Although its £6 pp per night its seems very well equiped and looks like coal is thrown in for the price.I dont have the phone no. but im sure it would be easy to get if anyone wants the grid ref let me know. Ta Ed
P.S does anyone know wether the fireplace at Soulies has been sorted out?
Ta Ed :)

willie

Forager
Sep 25, 2004
aberdeen,scotland
www.google.com
Hey ive heard of bothying awhile ago, i was just wondering what happens with Fire wood and the likes is it there already do u have to bring Etc ive looked on the Mba forums couldnt find much info,,
i probs didnnt look hard enough..

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE