Bored on a Saturday night

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

XRV John

Nomad
Jan 23, 2015
Scunthorpe
Deciding that the new series of Ant & Dec isn't for me and with SWMBO's cries of "You're mad!!" ringing in my ears I decided to try something for outdoor camping other than one of my tents.

Having a basha but no trees in the back garden I made best use of the decking 😂

So here we basha (which I now think might be too small to give adequate cover), my new (from ebay) 1992 bivvy, my Mamut 3/4 season bag, a full and a 3 - quarter mat and mummy bag liner.

Just off to get the Esbit cooker down
😃

61418c1157759ce9858b7c63b5f53325.jpg

9c6d08b20a046cca11885feae3834ba5.jpg

haytor7

Tenderfoot
Dec 23, 2014
devon
That looks like a good idea and well better than watching ant and dik. which is what I am doing. hope its not too cold out there

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
Go for it mate....live the dream even in your back garden. Otherwise come Monday at work and you'll wonder why you didn't ;)

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Try pitching it diamond-stylee if you feel you want more cover, but have a good 'un whatever way you do it :)

XRV John

Nomad
Jan 23, 2015
Scunthorpe
Try pitching it diamond-stylee if you feel you want more cover

I'll have to practice that having never done it before ;)

Will bring it along to my first bushcraft meet and see if someone can show me

Having a convivial vino with SWMBO to earn brownie points before heading out to base camp

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Fair play to you, there is no shame. Better to test gear in the back yard than find yourself wanting for better out in the sticks.

XRV John

Nomad
Jan 23, 2015
Scunthorpe
Well what worked?

The bag and mats inside the bivvy worked as the bivvy stopped the mats sliding around. Could sleep comfortably on my side. There was no precipitation so the basha didn't need to keep anything off BUT its East - West orientation and raised level on the deck did make it cold once the wind picked up.

I should have put more layers of clothing on other than some old thermals as I would get a cold spot around my midriff which moving inside the bag would alleviate for a while. It got down to 1.6 Celcius before I came in.

But the biggest problem was NOISE !!! My neighbour going into his garage for a ciggie at 1 am, noisy twats coming home from the pub about 12.30 or the constant vehicle noise from the motorway or morons gunning their cars up the hill. Gave up at 1.20am as just could not get off to sleep. Camp sites are so much quieter and I would guess woods even more so!

Still, valuable lessons learned re wind break and personal insulation. It's work in progress so try to improve things next time. Defo set it up in the lee of the deck next time for better wind protection.

John

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Defo set it up in the lee of the deck next time for better wind protection.

... or set your tarp differently. Diamond fly or lean-to pitches would both have offered good lees. Where the wind is and where it might shift to are important considerations with tarps, particularly small ones.

Good exercise, all the same. Well done. :)

XRV John

Nomad
Jan 23, 2015
Scunthorpe
... or set your tarp differently. Diamond fly or lean-to pitches would both have offered good lees. Where the wind is and where it might shift to are important considerations with tarps, particularly small ones.

Good exercise, all the same. Well done. :)
Yeah I'll have to practice that as never done it before

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE