Border or Northumbria

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Barbours, I mean

Just seeing my old and derelict Solway off, and will scour eBay for its replacement (vintage, that is)

What do people think are the different merits of the Border and the Northumbria? :)

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
I had never thought that Barbours could ever get to a stage of dereliction...the odd patching of a bit of binder twine and bent fuse wire is just an extreme patination, surely.
My preference is the Northumbria, it's the only one I've ever had, cos it has the longest back and its generous allowance of measure, together with its minimal lining, means I can always choose my own preference of insulation.
Learn the herringbone stitch, my jacket presently and proudly sports an all-up, cumulative length of around 14 inches of 'patination', mainly around cuffs, pockets and elbow seams.
It has never taken the Northbound journey back to Shields, for I've always done the re-proofing myself...I suspect that all the layers of beeswax is holding the thing together just as much as the stitching.
Regards all
Ceeg

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I'd go Northumbria. It's a good, long body and a heavier weight fabric. I have two frustrations with it: the short sleeves and the lack of a fixed hood.

Reactions: Billy-o

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE