Booze

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

cottonwoodroot

Tenderfoot
Jul 13, 2014
Prince Rupert
I was going to ask this on my earlier thread, however I thought it warranted it's own discussion. As I stated in the spices post, I am trying to add a few creature comforts into my sub 15 pound bushcraft pack.
I have allotted myself 3 ounces for alcohol (not to be used for dis-infect ant if you know what I mean)
Clearly beer or wine are off the list. I heard of an old guy here that used to make moonshine (before he was arrested) that was of a sufficient strength to make an appropriate mix of one teaspoon to a can of soda. 3 ounces of that stuff would likely get the party started.
In all seriousness though, I am not desirous of achieving a high state of inebriation while out practicing bushcraft, just looking for a small sample for myself and possibly my wife to enjoy as the sun sinks behind the mountains.

Here are the contents of my current "liquor cabinet"

1 oz. Grand Marnier
1 oz. Jamaican Spiced Rum
1 oz. Baileys

Suggestions? Mixed drink recipes with other contents of the pack are more than welcome.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Cask strength Caol Ila. Throw away those girly drinks. Splash of clean mountain water and sip as the sun goes down. Its oily, smoky, seaweed and peat. Like an angel crying on your tongue.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Although I am partial to a drop of Laphroiag, I also find Bushmill's Black Label Irish whiskey very much to my taste. The two are very different, but both worth your time and money if you can find a well stocked bar in which to try them.

mrostov

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Texas
In the bang per carried weight ratio, Everclear and Tang cut with a bit of water from the purifier makes a good happy juice out in the boondocks, especially if you are carrying it in a pack. A bit barbaric, but it gets the job done.

I don't know if you have Everclear over there, but it's pure grain alcohol. Depending upon what state you are in it will be either 151 proof or 190 proof. Mix it with some Tang instant breakfast drink and cut it with a bit of water so you don't blow out too many brain cells too fast.

Over here the government just approved for sale instant, powdered alcohol. That should open up a whole new frontier.

220px-EverclearHiRes.jpg

Last edited:

cottonwoodroot

Tenderfoot
Jul 13, 2014
Prince Rupert
Grand suggestions all gentlemen. I consider it my solemn duty to sample as many suggestions as possible. Rostov I will have to check on the legality of everclear. I know it can be purchased across the border in Alaska but I am not certain about here in BC. I like the suggestion of mountain water as a mix. Just seems fitting somehow.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Out of the ones listed so far my pick would be the rum although I'd prefer it unspiced. The reason being spiced rum is best served in cold drinks whereas plain rum is better in hot drinks such as I'd prefer in your location. Particularly "Hot Buttered Rum" (the original colonial version, not the ice cream versions of today)

2 tablespoons brown sugar4 teaspoons butter or 4 teaspoons margarine, softened (butter preferred)
1 dash ground cinnamon
1 dash ground nutmeg
1 [SUP]1[/SUP]⁄[SUB]2[/SUB] cups water
[SUP]1[/SUP]⁄[SUB]2[/SUB] cup rum

Mix all ingredients except the rum and simmer until all powdered ingredients and butter are melted/dissolved and the mixture is hot. Pour a measure of rum into a mug and fill with the hot liquid.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Laphroiag - throw out the rest.
Do the same at home.
This IS the be all and end all ... if you can afford it!

Something else we agree on Mr Fenna. I usually bring a bottle to the Naughty Corner.

I always have a hip flask of this in my back pack. It has a deep smokey peat taste. I use it in my jerky marinades too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I pondered this question. If I had the chance opportunity to take just one, just one, for a small tot each night as the nectar
of human craftsmanship, I know what that would be.
It is none of your concern at all. You pick 3-4 oz of your drink, have a sip and bundle in for a new day.
My outdoors, day and night, needs no alteration with drink.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Santaman that recipe sounds highly intruiging. I just bought a pound of powdered butter. Do you think this would work in a pinch as a substitute for real butter?

I really don't know. Try the experiment at home and make one with regular butter and one with the powdered butter for comparison. Then decide. What have you got to lose :)

Feb 21, 2015
Durham
If I could FIND it in the UK at a price that would not need a bank loan.. BOOKERS SINGLE CASK BOURBON........ Oh Heaven.. 136 proof sippin whisky from JB or failing that...a flask of good old roughneck...( Jack Daniels to the uninitiated)

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
If I could FIND it in the UK at a price that would not need a bank loan.. BOOKERS SINGLE CASK BOURBON........ Oh Heaven.. 136 proof sippin whisky from JB or failing that...a flask of good old roughneck...( Jack Daniels to the uninitiated)

Most people pay too much for "single cask" whiskey (whatever brand) The only advantage you get from it is if you buy every bottle from the same "single" cask. That's the whole point of it; for each bottle to be from the same cask as the others so that you have 100 bottles (or however many you can get from a cask) that all taste exactly the same. If you only buy one bottle, you're just paying a premium price for a bottle that's matched to other bottles bought by other people.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Something else we agree on Mr Fenna. I usually bring a bottle to the Naughty Corner.

I always have a hip flask of this in my back pack. It has a deep smokey peat taste. I use it in my jerky marinades too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have deeper pockets than I do!
I get about one bottle a year as a super special treat - darnit - a bottle of Lidl Glen Orchy is a treat for me...most of the time I stick to home made wine or Sloe/Blackberry/Damson Gin/Brandy made with stuff that would be undrinkable without the fruit and sugar (and this is someone who can enjoy "Cape Smoke" neat....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE