Bone Identification

Clark

Forager
Jul 18, 2007
Aberdeen
Not really sure where to put this one, i was up at my favourite woods at the weekend and stumbled upon a silly amount of bones, in another thread i had told how when i was camping last month i was scared of by a large animal but couldn't really say what it was.
There really was just so many bones and alot of different hairs etc. I'm not saying the two are related at all but it makes me think there could be something.
So anyhoos back to my point, can anyone identify these bones for me? the rest that were laying about were easy enough to identify and mostly there were rabbits and a couple of young deer along with what i believe was a domestic cat but this photo i cant quite make out what it might be.

wolf man

Forager
Sep 12, 2005
Oxford
They look like deer to me, not entirely sure.
Your first pic of the fur, seems to be deer, and your third shows the jaw bone from a herbivore, looking at the elongated front bit, it all seems to be pointing towards my initial guess. Your final pic, almost seems to show the point where the horn is attached to the skull, behind the eye socket,

Any other opinions?

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
I agree, looks like a deer. Do a google image search on deer skulls, the jaw looks pretty much spot on.

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
Definitely deer bones and I am saying Red - the bone near the end of the vertebrae looks like the pelvis to me and the hollow is the socket where the ball from the thigh bone should fit

Edit: Having restudied the photos, if the pine cones are of average size the vertebrae in comparisson tends to suggest Red

Clark

Forager
Jul 18, 2007
Aberdeen
Cheers for the help, i wasn't sure on these bones but the other ones definetely were deer and some rabbits etc.. Going to head back up there with a friend who lives near to those woods. Anyone got any idea why there would be so many bones in one place? Theres too many there for it to just be one or two deer and a coincidence. Definetely something or someone using it regular for something.

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
I think you are looking at one partial skeleton as opposed to multiple animals (there will be a large amount of scattered bones) and if you have a bit of a scout around the area you should find the skull.

Clark

Forager
Jul 18, 2007
Aberdeen
There is definetely more than one animal here, these are the only bones i was unsure of. In total in a small area there were 8 different skulls, there was plenty of rabbits carcasses laying about but that could be down to a fox i'd imagine but there were 4 different deer skulls some including very small antlers but nothing to speak of really.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE