Bone Handled Whittler / carver / neck knife.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Perrari

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
Recently finished this Whittler, 3mm thick 01, 6.25" overall with 2.5" blade, cow bone scales with black liners and mosaic pins.
The bone I got off my butcher, it is the hind leg of a cow, he is going to keep me a front leg bone next time as he says the wall thickness is bigger.
I wanted a decent sized handle on it but also wanted to retain the natural shape of the bone, although the handle shape may look a bit weird it is very comfortable in the hand.
I have made a neck sheath for it, and although my leatherwork is 'developing' it has a long way to go.

I hope you like it !

DSC_0035.jpgDSC_0036.jpgDSC_0037.jpgDSC_0038.jpgDSC_0040.jpgDSC_0041.jpgDSC_0042.jpg

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Now that really is a beauty! The liners look great with the bone, the handle shape looks just right for a whittler and the mosaic pins just set it all off...........and then a dinky little sheath to hold it................

You might get the idea that I've fallen for this little one, and you'd be right!....................Excellent in all regards......................atb mac

Perrari

Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
Thanks Mac ! She is a beauty, and you have my permission to take her hand in marriage as long as you pay for the wedding !

Now that really is a beauty! The liners look great with the bone, the handle shape looks just right for a whittler and the mosaic pins just set it all off...........and then a dinky little sheath to hold it................

You might get the idea that I've fallen for this little one, and you'd be right!....................Excellent in all regards......................atb mac

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I'll start saving for the wedding now I've got Daddy's approval!..............I'd be very interested to know the process involved in cleaning/drying/readying the bone for use? I have used cattle bones in the past on some of my sticks, but it always came to me ready for use; I've often thought of getting some from the butcher...................atb mac

Perrari

Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
Not much of a process really Mac.
I cut each end off the bone (which next doors dogs really liked) I then poked out most of the marrow with a stick (they liked that as well), then I boiled the bone to get the rest of the marrow out and any remaining bits of meat.
I then left it for about 6 weeks before using it. I cut along it with a hacksaw and sanded the inside flat on the belt grinder. Although I was wearing a mask the smell was pretty horrible, possibly worse than antler. You could probably get it flat by taping a sheet of coarse sandpaper on something flat and do it by hand but it was quite hard and would probably take some time.

Here are pictures of the rest of it.

DSCN3021.jpgDSCN3020.jpg

I'll start saving for the wedding now I've got Daddy's approval!..............I'd be very interested to know the process involved in cleaning/drying/readying the bone for use? I have used cattle bones in the past on some of my sticks, but it always came to me ready for use; I've often thought of getting some from the butcher...................atb mac

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Thanks for the info, I think I'll have a little play with some bone a bit later in the, ermmmmmmm, summer............atb mac

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE