boiling water without a metal container ???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
I think our ancestors didn't bother with boiling water. They just drank it as / when / if they found it. Knowledge of water being a cause of diseases is only of 'recent' time.

Preping food would be as you would see with the San bushman: in the coals of a fire or just eat it raw as is.

If you don't have a container, you could create a shallow hole in the ground. Line it with clay or an animal skin and use hot rocks. Bamboo is another option if around

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I think many of the worries of water sanity we have did not exist in those times, maybe a dead carcase or two but none of the man made stuff pumped into the environment we have today. It's only my opinion but I think they had much cleaner water due partly to the much lower levels of human waste of whatever kind.

There was a 'man woman wild' program on recently where they heated water with the hot rock method in some sort of natural container. It was funny as the water went in clear and appetizing but came out brown and cloudy but safe to drink!!

Also I think that clay pots have been in use for cooking for a very long time, well before metal was abundant enough and used for the same purpose.

Steve.

nuggets

Native
Jan 31, 2010
england
Not so much for water `sanity` as for food preperation !! Suppose not many metal (iron/steel) pans would have survived for the time team crew to reconstruct !!!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Clay pots, birch bark pots, skin lined pits et al all using hot rocks perhaps but I doubt hot water was high on the agenda. I suspect if you could not eat food raw or cook using a fire (over, under, embers, rocks etc) you'd not eat it. I doubt there is anymore evidence to show our very distant ancestors sat down to a cup of pine needle tea than there is that they used friction fire lighting (in the UK), both of which are slim options in the real world of basic everyday survival.

Ye Oldie bushcraft must have been grim times to live to say the least.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Was there not a program on the old box not long ago that went into the theory of why the population suddenly started to thrive when they started to cook stuff they had instead of eating it raw and thus releasing the nutrients better?

Steve.

nuggets

Native
Jan 31, 2010
england
Was there not a program on the old box not long ago that went into the theory of why the population suddenly started to thrive when they started to cook stuff they had instead of eating it raw and thus releasing the nutrients better?

Steve.

so who invented the humble pan ??

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
Well it could have started in Asis Minor or South America, quick glance at wiki mentions using turtle shells as a solution while bamboo sealed using clay.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
There are many processes that require hot water like dying cloth for example which we know has a very ancient history.

Having said that we know that boiling water with hot rocks survives into quite recent history and is very efficient in fact.

Dying.jpg

In this demonstration, water is being heated with rocks for dying cloth in a wooden trough as we know was done in various Viking Age contexts even though iron pots such as the one on the fire behind were also available.

gliderrider

Forager
Oct 26, 2011
Derbyshire, UK
As others have said, I dout they bothered, dont forget as recently as the 1800's, londoners were drinking water with turds literally floating in the mug. We didnt realise it was bad for you till very recently, in the scheme of things.

Having said that, probably the same way RM does, when I was studying Neolithic man we were repeatedly shown examples from the inuit & Abo's.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE