Blue Bell root glue.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Hey All,

After watching Ray Mears making arrows in the first episode of his last bbc2 show I sent woodlore an email asking a question about how he did it.
I haven't actually had a reply yet but a very helpful lady there called Jane did forward my mail on to a "Professor of Etnobotany" friend of Ray's for his opinion.

In the meantime I thought I'd post that part of my mail and see if any of you guys can answer the question for me:

Anyway, the point of my mail is to ask a question about the Blue Bell glue Ray used in the first program to attach the fletching of his arrows. As you will know Ray warned us that the roots were poisonous and then proceeded to chew them and mix them with saliva in his mouth before using the glue on the arrows. What I wanted to ask was why he did not just put the roots on a flat rock, crush and mash them with a stick and spit on the mush to add the saliva (if they need the saliva that is) and then use the glue direct from the rock pallet? Obviously Ray knows very well what he's doing so I'm presuming there must be a reason for the way he did it but I can't for the life of me think what the reason might be. I'd be very grateful if somebody could ask him and let me know.

I'm sure one or two of you out there will be able to answer this one for me.

Many thanks in advance.

Phil.

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
I thought that when I saw it on TV, just crush and add saliva and mix in, but there you go :?:
However I'm sure 'Rays mate' that will be Gordon who is professor at UCL will give you an answer. He knows his stuff does Gordon but be prepared for a full and long lecture, he is so enthusiastic about his plants.

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
I suspect it was just to make good TV, it's quicker than showing Ray getting a stone, breaking off a twig, mashing up spit and bluebells stirring it all up and applying it to his arrow.

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
:shock: Maybe that was BLOOOOOD he was spitting onto the cave wall at the end of that episode ? :eek:):

I guess it was just an easy way to mix it. No tools required, and probably the way he'd seen it done on his travels.

Cheers
Rich

jakunen

Native
I'll second the not using wild bluebells unless the wood is infested with spanish ones that they are trying to clear and give you permission.

Sorry, going to put old scientists hat on again. Thought I'd got rid of the damn thing...

The toxins in bluebell bulbs are not at all pleasant and I would strongly recommend using a natural pestle and morter - a depression in a stone or piece of wood to pulp them. The friction created (even thought the stuff is slippery as hell) by the action of grinding will help the process as a little warmth helps in the process - don't ask me why as I've never worked that bit out...

If you do chew them (I'll call you mad, but hey, could be a laugh!), make sure you spit out EVERYTHING and rinse your mouth out with plenty of water (or better still milk iirc (but don't quote me) the main toxins are fat soluble and the fat in the milk will bind them up - obviously that "paint brush washing from white washing the cottage" stuff isn't as good. Use real milk :wink: ).

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Many thanks Jakunen.....knew you'd have an answer for me :wave:

You're dead right about not picking bluebells..... strange that Ray didn't mention they were protected when he did it.

I'm glad you're able to shed light on it....it just struck me as odd to say not to do something and then to just do it anyway on TV.....not Ray's normal style!

jakunen

Native
bambodoggy said:
Many thanks Jakunen.....knew you'd have an answer for me :wave:

You're dead right about not picking bluebells..... strange that Ray didn't mention they were protected when he did it.

I'm glad you're able to shed light on it....it just struck me as odd to say not to do something and then to just do it anyway on TV.....not Ray's normal style!
Hmm, am I getting a rep as a know all here???

It may be that the director though the piece was too long and cut that bit. Its amazing what they do after you've done your piece to camera...(no, I'm not bitter...).

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
I've seen damage from long term exposure to blue bell lectins ( in a lab worker ) - you wouldn't know it from psoriaisis, even using the mortar and pestle route you don't want it on your skin - some people are more sensitive than others. Even handling it as a glue I'd be wary about skin contact, some of these things cause sensitisation
Realgar

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
thing is in lab work there's a lot more of the stuff washing around and it's been concentrated. I doubt you'd get the same reaction to the raw material unless you were sensitive to it - but how do you know you're sensitive to it unless you've tried - and you can get sensitised to it.
I'll doing a GM version that secretes epoxy - a red flowered one for the resin and a blue for the hardener....

I bet the bulbs were used as birdlime at some point.

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
thing is in lab work there's a lot more of the stuff washing around and it's been concentrated. I doubt you'd get the same reaction to the raw material unless you were sensitive to it - but how do you know you're sensitive to it unless you've tried - and you can get sensitised to it.
I'll try doing a GM version that secretes epoxy - a red flowered one for the resin and a blue for the hardener....

I bet the bulbs were used as birdlime at some point.

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
Is there a way to make natural glue from things around the bush?
Are there many?

What are they and hopefully a quick how??

Thanks Emdiesse

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Just found this thread while looking for another one. I didn't see R. M. chewing bluebells :nono: (He needs a skelp. "Don't do that!".
Okay, mum thing over....) :)
but it's good glue if toxic....I only use it for paper or feathers. It's like pva right enough, you need to add a bit of water to make it flow else it's a bit gummy. It dries well and holds fast but you have to keep new joins very dry. It used to be used in book binding (don't know if it killed bookworms or not) and was reported to be a good fix for the leather bindings.
Thanks for all the info., I don't think I'll be telling kids about this one though.

Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE