Blister kits????

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

yomperalex

Nomad
Jan 22, 2011
Reading
Hi all

What would be in a blister kit that isn't already in a decent FAK??

Could I just get some moleskin plaster and add it to my FAK?

Thanks in advance.

Alex

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Compeed is even better

Last time I used Compeed it migrated from my foot to my sock...I had to bin the sock!
Prevention is better than cure...break your boots in well, wear socks that work for you (or 2 pairs) oil your feet, vas your feet, pickle your feet in surgical spirit or white vinegar, powder your feet, soap your socks, put raw egg in your socks, wear no socks, tape your possible hotspots with zinc oxide, watch more TV, have all been suggested at some time or another...
Moleskin and zinc oxide work for me on the rare occassion (normally while breaking in boots :) ) that I start a blister...

Last edited:

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
I always have a few compeed in my FAK.

What John says is of course correct but it's not always you, my last 3 compeed's went to help other struggling walkers.

A slection of Compeed is always a good addititon to a FAK, and it's not always just for yourself. All the Compeed I have used from my personal FAK have gone on feet that weren't my own.

I have worked as a medic on the Caledonian Challenge for the past 2 years and we got through a lot of Compeed. The only time it doesn't really work is when the boots, socks and foot gets wet and you don't stop and do something about it. I had a competitor come up to me asking if I could look at her foot and do something for the blister she knew she had. She was quite upset about the amount of pain she was in but she was determined to carry on and begged me not to retire her from the challenge, I sat her down and gently took her boot off, then rolled the sock off, what I saw will stay with me for years. She had a fairly bad blister on the ball of her foot, but what really horrified me was the yellow gunk that was squished up between her toes, like she had stepped in custard. I did the only thing I could think of, I laughed. After we both had calmed down a bit(she was very upset) I got her a cup of tea and some biscuits and got the story from her. She had developed the blister and visited the med tent at the last checkpoint and got a Compeed on it before carrying on. Somewhere between there and the checkpoint I was on she got her foot wet and not stopped to empty her boot and change into dry socks and the Compeed had disintegrated and formed the yellow gloop between her toes. I cleaned the mess up, applied a new Compeed and she finished the challenge.

Some Zinc Oxide tape in the FAK is always a good idea too, you can back the Compeed up with it, or use it over a hotspot as it develops. The only trouble is when the blister develops from the hotspot and the tape sticks to the roof and deroofs the blister as you take it off, you then have to treat it as an open wound.

Just my experience of Compeed, hope this helps

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Another vote for Compeed - it got me across the North York Moors to the end of the C2C! I also use zinc oxide tape as a preventative measure on vulnerable areas - it helps the sock and boot to slide over the skin rather than cause friction.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
The only trouble is when the blister develops from the hotspot and the tape sticks to the roof and deroofs the blister as you take it off, you then have to treat it as an open wound.

The French Medics on the "Marathon de Sable" (sp?) mega marathon in the desert just hack the top off blisters anyway - my brother stayed away from them, self treating his blisters....

yomperalex

Nomad
Jan 22, 2011
Reading
Thanks for the feedback guys. I already have zinc oxide in the FAK, I'll just get some moleskin and try out the preventative measures.

Thanks

Alex

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE