blewitts

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
Anything I can possibly confuse the field and wood blewitts with? are they a good fungus for drying? I'm 100% sure I've got the id right but it pays to be paranoid with fungi.

den

Nomad
Jun 13, 2004
Bristol
I say it was possible.
Before I knew what one looked like I found cortinarius purpurascens ,which I was sure was a wood blewit. :icon_frow

Go to town with the id make sure everything matches 100% and take a spore print.

I am not aware of anything that you could confuse wood blewits with that are really poisonous but hey I am no expert. Like you said it's good to be paranoid.

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
I find a lot of the cortinarius around as well, the rust red spores give it a way. It's said to be edible and I've eaten it before but it's toughish, has a strong earthy taste and is slightly gritty.

I've taken a spore print form the blewitt, the salmon pink spores clinch it - plus what am I going to do with all this microbiology equipment around and and spores from an easily cultivated delicious mushroom..........

B

bombadil

Cortinarius purpurescens is highly poisonous!!! :yikes: The toxin which makes it so is slow acting though, and it can take years to for any symptoms to develop, hence a lot of confusion with this species, although there are well documented cases of many people in France and elsewhere of having died from acute liver and renal failure as a result of eating this species, especially when it has been sold as wood blewits on market stalls etc. The spore print IS the clinch with Lepista nuda, it took me a while to figure that one out too, but don't be complacent about the other, it could cost you......
P.s. Wood blewits are no good for drying, they should ALWAYS be cooked and the tendency if drying is to forget to do so thoroughly when reconstituted.

B

Bi0

There's a load of wood blewits fruiting in my local woods at the moment. A quick, easy way of getting a positive id is by simply smelling them. They have a sweet perfumey smell where as the Cortinarius species don't.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Here's the wood Blewitt
1.jpg

Lepista nuda

And the field Blewitt
LepistaSaeva.jpg

Lepista Saeva

Hope this helps

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE