Blacksmithing Course Photos

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

thejollyroger

Tenderfoot
Sep 4, 2010
england
hey,
I was lucky enough to be able to go on a 5 day blacksmithing course last week.
I had taken loads of photos throughout the week but my phone went crazy and I lost all of the photos. So here is what I got up to for the week.

The first day covered safety, managing a coke forge and some simple techniques. We make a ring of different sample pieces to demonstrate the skills.

My first Rams head poker! Hopefully not my last.

Another poker

Letter opener

Door handle

We also got the opportunity to design and make our own projects, I decided to make a boot scraper. It was more so that I could develop the skills used than my need to own a boot scraper.
I made my own punch, slot punch and drift to complete this project. The scraper is mortised to the frame

Sorry if some photos are a bit blurry as they were taken on my phone.

thejollyroger

Tenderfoot
Sep 4, 2010
england
Cheers for the feedback!
The ring will be a constant reference for years to come and I hope to add more to it.
5 day's would be an experienced and a half.

It really was an experience and a half. we each had our own forge, anvil and work space, it was really hands on. It finished at 4ish each day but I would have been happy to work until it was dark!

how did you find out about the course?
Earlier in the year I had done a day taster course with the blacksmith who was teaching us (Richard Maynard of Much Hadham forge). The course was for a group of people being trained in old skills and crafts by Museum of East Anglian Life and there were a few places open to the public, Richard Maynard the blacksmith sent an email to previous students about it.
If I hear it is on again next year I will post it up here to let you know. I would go again it was that good!

Shambling Shaman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
It really was an experience and a half. we each had our own forge, anvil and work space, it was really hands on. It finished at 4ish each day but I would have been happy to work until it was dark!

So lucky Sandy (our instructor) had one portable forge and had made a bespoke anvil for the project, 3 of us took turns in completing a stage up to the finish approx 5hr was a great day. Like you I could have worked till dark (and felt it the next day) :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE