Blackcurrant? plant ID please guys

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Monny

Nov 30, 2008
N.Lanarkshire
Hi guys,

I was out walking the dog earlier and spotted this.... I was wondering if it was blackcurrant...what do you reckon? I'm sure somebody will know for sure....

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Blackcurrant is one of those definite ones.
Does it smell of blackcurrant ? Even the leaves ?

Then it is :D

Cheers,
Toddy, who's just made 7kgs of blackcurrant jam :cool:

Monny

Nov 30, 2008
N.Lanarkshire
Thanks guys!

I wasnt really sure and thought It'd be best to get a second opinion before I gorge myself on them.....

I'm only really starting out on learning to plant ID.... I checked my collins food for free.. the berries look the same but the leaves arent identical to the one in the book and state that they ripen in July.... so I thought it'd be best asking you guys first....

only one way to find out!

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
The leaf looks more like a gooseberry and the stems have spines on them which blackcurrants don't. However, I think it is actually a currant, a Worcesterberry, ribes divaricatum, which looks similar to gooseberries but has smaller dark purple fruits and a larger bit at the end where the flower was.

Monny

Nov 30, 2008
N.Lanarkshire
The leaves dont really smell when crushed... The berries taste sweet though...not bitter

I'll pick more tomorrow and try a handful...unless one of you guys let me know its not blackcurrant?

Monny

Nov 30, 2008
N.Lanarkshire
Thanks slowworm! I'll have to google that!

edit: I've just checked ribes divaricatum on wikipedia.... and the leaf certainly looks the same! I'll have another check tomorrow I think.... there wasnt 'Tons' of berries though.... It is a really small patch.... I dont know why I've only just noticed them... I walk the route most days...

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
That is, without doubt, blackcurrant. It's possible you may be on part of an old garden as they are great survivors. Look around for other plants and trees that are out of the ordinary.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've just taken a snap for comparison of our blackcurrants in the garden, the leaves on ours are definitely more serrated at the ends.

DSC01319.jpg

Not sure how many different varieties there are ?

TJRoots

Nomad
Jul 16, 2009
East sussex
hmm i'm not sure that is a blackcurrant in my opinion, the leaves are very different to the ones in my garden and i've never seen one with spines before, also the berries arent in clusters in your pictures and in my experience they are always in clusters (not to say that there isnt a variant that doesnt have clusters).

heres a few pictures i just got of google images of what i know to be blackcurrants, this might help you identify it.

blackcurrant-plant-with-ripe-black-currants-200.jpg

blackcurrant.jpg

2616442228_e4a41890e8.jpg

hope that helps :)

TJ

EDIT: they look a lot like gooseberries to me but i havent much experience with gooseberries so i cant be sure

TJRoots

Nomad
Jul 16, 2009
East sussex
sorry to double post but i just found these on the net, they are a type of gooseberry called "nordic grapes", they look more like whats in your picture.

35827026_3865a1f923.jpg

TJ

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I had a look around the gardens here....running down now (except for the dozen varieties of apples) theres a bush just like it.

not many fruit tho`

Picked a load of late blackcurrants though. interesting how they are the big ones.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I sort blackcurrants into three grades; Desert, that's those big sweet ones Tengu, ones for Jam and ones for Jelly. The jelly gets all the odds and sods, the tinies as well as the over and under ripe. The jam gets good ones with no stalks, life's too short to de stalk every blackcurrant :rolleyes: :)
The desert ones are used for cranachan, for pies and crumbles, for vodka though I think I'll try whisky with them this year, or with meringues and cream :) They freeze well to give fruit through Winter.

I agree that those berries / leaves aren't quite right for blackcurrants, but no idea what they are otherwise.

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE