Black tufted eared sqirrel with white bib

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BJJJ

Native
Sep 3, 2010
North Shropshire
20181107-102445.jpg

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Am I going blind?can't see a sqizzer at all. I've even got a magnifier out. Give me a clue... please...

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
There's a definite edge enhancement look there :) - or have you applied a heavy sharpening filter? As said, 'cool'.

Greys vary in colour quite considerably - I'm told, but never seen one, that you can get completely black ones!

BJJJ

Native
Sep 3, 2010
North Shropshire
No alterations at all, raw photo from the phone, I think it focused more on the branch in front and not on the squirrel. But I didn't have a lot of time for the shot it was on the move.
Taken in Chur, Switzerland. Just got home.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
There is definitely something weird going on there BJJJ - on the first two photos it looks like there's edge enhancement; are there any 'effects' you can programme into your phone (accidently)?

Anyway, the trip looks stunning!

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
There is definitely something weird going on there BJJJ - on the first two photos it looks like there's edge enhancement; are there any 'effects' you can programme into your phone (accidently)?

Anyway, the trip looks stunning!

There’s an online tool that shows up photoshopping, source material etc.

https://fotoforensics.com/analysis.php?id=27ec6f4e3c9e9910210c3386383b14da4c98ea56.149536

The image shows as the man says, straight from his phone. The pixels would show disturbance around the area of changes made if photoshopped in any way. I think it’s just a digital phenomenon, maybe to do with the zoom.

I found this little fella here, is he similar?

6-BAA276-D-0-D9-A-4917-9545-2472-C55-B3539.jpg

Reactions: Woody girl

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Definitely looks like a Melanistic Red Squirrel - do they have greys in Switzerland?

Quote from 'Trees for Life' site:
(Some red squirrels can actually be black! Melanistic individuals are commonly seen in the eastern part of their European range, particularly in mountainous areas.)

Reactions: Nomad64

BJJJ

Native
Sep 3, 2010
North Shropshire
Definitely looks like a Melanistic Red Squirrel - do they have greys in Switzerland?

Quote from 'Trees for Life' site:
(Some red squirrels can actually be black! Melanistic individuals are commonly seen in the eastern part of their European range, particularly in mountainous areas.)
I have no idea, I can vouch for the fondue though. :beerchug: and the chocolate, and the bratwurst.

Reactions: Broch

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
That's a cute squirrel :) Nice pics, BJJJ .. .I pinched the last one for a screensaver :)

Here in Canada, especially in the east, squirrels are extremely varied things. Name a colour combination, give it a few days and you'll likely see one.

I remember seeing a lot of black squirrels with tufty ears in Germany over the years. North and South. They seemed to be a lot bigger than your average, rat-sized UK urban grey, but that might just be odd effects of scale from trees, landscape etc. They seemed to move more heavily too, though.

Last edited:
Reactions: BJJJ

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE