Black Iron Frying Pans

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I saw these linked from another thread and thought the prices were quite reasonable. Nisbets. (Be aware that the prices listed on that site are exclusive of VAT by default.)

I was wondered if anyone's interested in a group buy, as the prices decrease if you order more than three of any item and postage is free for orders over £70 (ex vat).

The only thing is, I think postage would be a bit high on individual pans and it's only £4.64 direct from Nisbets anyway. So what I would suggest is that I could distribute these at the Moot at the end of next month. If you're not going to the moot, maybe someone near you is?

Post here if you're interested, and if it looks like a go-er I'll ask for it to be moved to the group buy forum.

Looks like this group buy's on.

7" (£5.86)

10" (£5.86) scanker, buffalobill, scruff, beamdune, maddave

12" (£9.99) weekend_warrior

14" (£11.74)

16" (£15.26)

There'll be a tiny amount to add on to the prices listed for postage if the total order is less than the £82.25 threshold (£4.64 / number of participants).

I'll lower the listed prices appropriately if the number of a particular pan gets past three.

*Price now lowered on the 10" from £6.46

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I think this might as well go ahead anyway. That's at least three pans already (I might get a couple) and if we pay £4.64 postage, it's only about £1.50 each at the moment. I'll edit the first post with a list.

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
I would like to make a very serious suggestion, that is, if you have'nt actually had one of these in your hand and tried it for what you actually intend to use it for, get one and try it before placing a large order.

The reason that I say this is that I looked at a lot of iron pans before I found one that I was happy to buy.

I have never had sight of this particular make so cannot comment on it, however there is an awful lot of junk out there.

If its not up to scratch, returning one is a pain, but returning 40 is a nightmare. :eek:

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Hmmm interesting. I haven't held one or tried one. If anyone has perhaps they could post.
Nisbits is quite a serious catering supplier, so I'd hope they'd be OK. Any thoughts anyone?
Personally I'm happy to take a chance on a pan for a shade over £6, but accept no responsibilty whatsoever if they're all crap! :D

scruff

Maker
Jun 24, 2005
West Yorkshire
Well the first thing I looked for was that the handles are rivetted on, rather than welded. Usually a good indicator for good build quality.

The best pan I ever bought was a wok form an asian (Indian) food store. It cost me £3.50 and its still going strong after 5 years.

I think for £6 I'll take a gamble ;)

They look do look quality pieces of kit though.

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I'm going to let this run until next weekend, and I'll be putting the order in on Monday 03 July.

Edit to add I've just had an email through from Nisbets and they've lowered their free delivery threshold to £30, so there'll be no postage charge - the price you see is the price you pay. :D

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
They've lowered the postage threshold to £30 now, so if anyone else missed out, we could do another one in a week or two. I got the dispatch confirmation this afternoon, so I should have them tomorrow.

weekend_warrior

Jun 21, 2005
North London
scanker said:
They've lowered the postage threshold to £30 now, so if anyone else missed out, we could do another one in a week or two. I got the dispatch confirmation this afternoon, so I should have them tomorrow.

I'll put my bacon, sausage and eggs order in now, ready for the moot!

Don't forget to bring veg oil (and maybe salt$) to season your pan with.. I tend to heat the pan with a thin wipe of oil, then scour it with salt. Repeat a few times and rinse off (when cool). The water should just run off in droplets.

This link has a few nice recipes...

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Information/CastIronPans.htm

M

Mooney

10" please if you're starting another one, cant believe i didnt see the first time :( ill be at the moot aswell

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
The pans arrived yesterday. I've seasoned mine, but not used it yet - they look functional enough.

If this gets over £30 again before the end of the month, I'll order again:

7" (£5.86)

10" (£6.46) Mooney

12" (£9.99) EdS

14" (£11.74)

16" (£15.26)

Mar 21, 2006
Isle of Wight
I'll go with Chopper on this one. Take some advice from one who knows - get one from bushgear.co.uk
They have a fantastic service. Ordered mine at 1730 and it was delivered by 1130 the next morning at work. Price includes VAT and delivery and the quality is superb. I have tested it to death. Awesome, just make sure you season it well. You will not be dissapointed.

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
As I said above, I can't make any claims about quality. I've not seen the bushgear pans and I haven't used the Nisbets ones (yet). They looks superficially similar, the only difference I can see is the second handle on the bushgear ones. There's a big difference in £6 and £25 though - the cost of the 10" pans. They look similar in weight/thickness as far as I can tell from the images.

That said, you're talking about two products one of which costs over four times as much as the other. Isn't that like saying a Hennessey Hammock is far better than a DD Hammock? Not really a fair comparison.

Time will tell. Hopefully I'll be able to use mine at the moot if not before and I'l post a review.

weekend_warrior

Jun 21, 2005
North London
Let me say that as well trained and ex-jobbing chef an iron pan lives and dies on how well it's kept - if its well seasoned and not dropped or dumped into cold water while hot it'll last and perform. I've had gucci ones and cheap ones - my best griddle was €6 in a hypermarket and has lasted years. One of these pans will be just fine for me. I've never worked in a kitchen that used expensive pans, although I trained with solid copper and hand tin lined ones. But every chef is is a knife tart! ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE