Bivvy Bags...worth it?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
Like I said, are bivvy bags worth buying? they seem to a bit expensive for what is essentially a thin waterproof sleeping bag? Lets say for example, what would be the benefit to sleeping in a bivvy (obviously with sleeping bag thermarest etc) as opposed to just sleeping in lets say an un-erected tent?

Thanks

bigandy

Nomad
Mar 4, 2010
horwich lancashire
imho bivvy bags are definately worth it(you can pick up cheap ex issue ones for around £20 and they are bomb proof).advantages over a tent well they are or tend to be water proof, must tents tend to leach water through when they are in contact with you or your bag.the goretex ones will also add a few more degrees of comfort in cold weather

Reactions: grip

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
well if your under a tarp and you bed down in nice weather with a typical aframe tarp set up with just your sleeping bag and thermarest and the heavens open at 3am you will see why a bivvy bag will be a plus. Not only will it stop run off water flooding you wet but it will also stop your expensive sleeping bag turning into a sponge...getting moldy and smelling like a lady of the nights knickers :D

as well as what was said above it will add a season to your bag too in the cold. I never use one in a tent unless its very cold but i wouldnt not use one under a tarp and if its really warm i would just use the bivvy bag

Reactions: ProjeKtWEREWOLF

shovel reccy

Forager
Feb 22, 2007
cambridge
like people have said extra layer and it keeps the damp off your bag. go with the issue one cheep as chips and bomb proof. leave your bag in the bivvy bag stuf that in you bergan no need for dry bag.

knifefan

Nov 11, 2008
Lincolnshire
All the above is good advice, the only thing I would add is that some of the "budget" bivi bags tend to be prone to condensation problems as they are no as breathable as suggested. Like anything with kit "you get what you pay for" !! :D

Reactions: santaman2000

chris_r

Nomad
Dec 28, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
I have a issue Gortex bag which cost me £40 and was brand new when it arrived. In a compression sack with my bag it's practically the same size as the bag alone. It's water tight, super light and retains extra warmth, especially at this time of year. Well worth the pennies. Love mine.

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Returning to my pitch after dark one night ,I was glad I use a bivi bag because it was covered in big black slugs.If they had got on to my down sleeping bag it would have been a hell of a job to clean it,the bivi bag just goes into the washing machine.For that reason alone I use a bivi bag whatever the weather.

Metis Man

Jan 30, 2011
Manitoba Canada
I use a ECWS it is 2 bags and a gore tex Bivvy. It is good to about -40 water proof and flexible. the green bag is good to 0c the black bag is good to -20 or so and all three for very cold weather. all together they weigh 12 lbs. surplus for about $200 Canadian. the bags are water resistant and tuff I slide a pro-lite 4 in to the bivvy for ground insulation. my old bag was a double down and feather Canadian military cold weather bag -40c 14 lbs and not water proof. it would weigh 16 to 18 lbs after 2 weeks in the winter even being careful and airing it out.

lucan

Nomad
Sep 6, 2010
East Yorks
If I'm honest, I'm not a lover of Bivvy Bags.
Sure, they have their uses. I find that when i'm packing for a weekend away, it's one of the first things i leave out when sorting my gear. I don't see it as an essential bit of kit.

Reactions: Mowmow

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Alpkit bivvy bags are good value but a pretty tight fit. If you are big or have a bulky sleeping bag, see if you can check with someone else who has one first.

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
I mainly use a bivi bag when going night fishing.So I will be able to grab my rod easy when I get a bite, Otherwise if I am trekin I tend to use a tent

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I use a ECWS it is 2 bags and a gore tex Bivvy. It is good to about -40 water proof and flexible. the green bag is good to 0c the black bag is good to -20 or so and all three for very cold weather. all together they weigh 12 lbs. surplus for about $200 Canadian. the bags are water resistant and tuff I slide a pro-lite 4 in to the bivvy for ground insulation. my old bag was a double down and feather Canadian military cold weather bag -40c 14 lbs and not water proof. it would weigh 16 to 18 lbs after 2 weeks in the winter even being careful and airing it out.

How did you like that Canadian bag? Other than the weight, I mean? I've been trying to find someone with firsthand knowledge of it.

HarrogateTobias

Feb 4, 2011
Heaton, Newcastle
I am just waiting for my Snugpak Bivvy to come throught the post it wasnt cheap at £56.84 delivered from outdoorgb. http://www.snugpak.com/index.php?MenuID=201-113&ItemID=85

bivvybag.png

Its got its own compression scak and weighs the same as 8 bags of wakers crisps(340g). Check out the specs its pretty amazing not goretex but Paratex dry which is considered better.

I am testing it out on thursday in the Cold wet and windy North Yorkshire moors in FEB! Am i mad yes have i got a Sugpak sleeper Extreme sleeping bag at a comfort of -7 and this bivvy YES! oh and a DD Tarp XL.

I cant anwser the orignal question you posted first but i will this weekund coming.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrEd

Fizzy

Nomad
Feb 8, 2010
Ash Vale
Alpkit bivvy bags are good value but a pretty tight fit. If you are big or have a bulky sleeping bag, see if you can check with someone else who has one first.
I bought their Hunka XL bivvy which is larger than their standard Hunka, as my down bag is fairly bulky. Was certanly glad of it just over a year ago when we found out my mates tent wasn't waterproof the hard way :umbrella:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I am just waiting for my Snugpak Bivvy to come throught the post it wasnt cheap at £56.84 delivered from outdoorgb. http://www.snugpak.com/index.php?MenuID=201-113&ItemID=85

bivvybag.png

Its got its own compression scak and weighs the same as 8 bags of wakers crisps(340g). Check out the specs its pretty amazing not goretex but Paratex dry which is considered better.

I am testing it out on thursday in the Cold wet and windy North Yorkshire moors in FEB! Am i mad yes have i got a Sugpak sleeper Extreme sleeping bag at a comfort of -7 and this bivvy YES! oh and a DD Tarp XL.

I cant anwser the orignal question you posted first but i will this weekund coming.

Let us jnow how it works out. Most people think Goretex is a material but actually it's a brand name. I expect as the patent expires we'll see more manufacturers adding their own takes.

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Isnt that snugpak the same design and spec as the issue kit? if so flippin heck dude, that is expensive I know i normally say its whoevers money who cares what they spend it on, but as you can get issue bivvi's for at least £20 cheaper!

to the OP's question because if you sleep in an uerected ten you will get wet with condesation(still an issue with bivvi bags if for some reason you sleeop with your head in side the bag) and soaked if it rains. plus i should think the weight of a bivvi would be less than the tent.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE