Bivvi near Manchester

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
Does anyone know of a decent place for me to do my first Bivvi. Ive just bought the "American army modular sleep system", that consists of a waterproof (possibly gore-tex) bag, with 2 clip-in sleeping bags.

Im looking for somewhere within a train journey of Manchester that doesnt involve masses of walking (ive got a very bad back condition at the mo), and doesnt have too much wild life for my first time.

Cheers guys/gals

Stu

Bumpy

Forager
Apr 18, 2008
West Yorkshire
If you catch a train in the direction of Leeds you will pass through places like Hebden Bridge, Mytholmroyd etc. There are plenty of places a short walk from the stations where nobody will probably see you, or if they do, will not be very interested in what you are up to... Some smallish wooded areas too, or open moorland, with very little in the way of wildlife - or in fact any life!!!

Aug 18, 2008
Derry N.I
Depends what you want to do,are you the sort of person thats content with bivying in a field or do you go for the summit......

Heather on lake land is always a nice first time option but like I said it depends on your personality

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
have you never gone past anywhere Stu and thought "that looks a good spot"?

I would go with gut instinct if you are not to fussy about rules.

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
do you even need permition for a bivi bag? technicly your not pitching any sort of tent...
if you slept in a feild with nothing at all, no tarp, sleeping bag, just in your clothes do you need permition:confused: if not what difference would a bivi bag make?
but if someone did find you and were bothered by it you can just stuf it in your rucksack and leave

pete

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I think you do need permission and as such the site policy is to not condone stealth / wild camping without said permission.

There are places that you can get away with it but they are best not mentioned on an open forum.

Get a map and look around is the best advice I can offer, set up late and bug out early is a good tip.

burning

Tenderfoot
Jul 27, 2006
nw uk
I'd head down the road to Macclesfield way, some nice woods round the limestone pavement and no wild animals since the macc lads jacked in ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE