Bivi with zip recommendations

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MJM1

Forager
Feb 2, 2011
Stourbridge
Been hammocking up to now and looking to try ground dwelling so I'm going to need a bivi bag.
On Ebay there’s a positive plethora of precipitation protection products but which one to choose?
I read good things about the standard issue bags but really need something with a side zip, dodgy knees make it difficult to shuffle down into bags.
Any advise would be very welcome.

Mike.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
I hear what you are saying with respect to your knees, but a zip on a bivvi bag more often than not compromises it's effectiveness. Not really an issue if you are only ever going to be using it under a tarp- as the bivi in all likelihood will only get a bit damp around the foot end unless you suffer a bit of a disaster!

The later issue british army bivvi bag has an additional triangle of fabric sewn into the chest area which means that the hood opening is huge. The point of all this is that when you open up the hood to get into it, the opening will reach at least half way down your sleeping bag, and you should be able to get into it without too much trouble keeping your legs straight or with minimal bending. All the DPM bags have this design, and a few of the younger olive green bags.

MJM1

Forager
Feb 2, 2011
Stourbridge
Thanks all for the quick replies.
I'll have a good look around for one of the later British issues bags and go for that if the price is right, otherwise I'll be seriously considering the Dutch bag suggested by Cliff, currently working near the seller so could even pick it up to save a few quid.

MJM1

Forager
Feb 2, 2011
Stourbridge
alright fella i bought a U.S. Army GI Modular Sleep System... on here from barn owl..i use the bivi with just the green bag i think its an excellent bivi bag...atb Alza

http://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/s...gs/new-un-issued-genuine-u-s-army-489904.html

Yes, saw those a while ago :cool: Way cool but far more than I want to spend, may have been tempted if I didn't already have a sleeping bag.
Surplus and Outdoors are only a few miles from me, they used to have 2 shops, the other one was only about 200 yards from where I live, the temptation would have been too much if it was still there :)

shogun

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 31, 2009
U.K
i think i have seen just the bivi part of the bag for sale on ebay!! cheap

MJM1

Forager
Feb 2, 2011
Stourbridge
Just bought a DPM British surplus one (unused) on Ebay for 40 quid ish.
Was bidding on one of the Dutch ones but it went up to 93 quid :Wow:

MJM1

Forager
Feb 2, 2011
Stourbridge
The British issue bag arrived today. You were right Lord Poncho, it's enormous, I can easily get in and out without bending my knees too much.
Anyone ever tried sewing a mossy net into one of these?

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
... Anyone ever tried sewing a mossy net into one of these?

But how would you get out? :)

Seriously it's a good question, I think I'd just get something like a dustbin liner made of net and slip it over my head once I was in. Either that or get one of the camp-bed style ones that could drape from your tarp lines. There's a mozzy net on my Terra Nova Jupiter and to be honest using it is a bit of a nuisance, and I much prefer the large opening on the issue bag.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Glad it suits! Re. the mossi net- you would need to rig something up to keep it off your face as Ged says. The snugpak jungle sleeping bag has one built in to it, and most people who use it say its a bit of a nuisance.

MJM1

Forager
Feb 2, 2011
Stourbridge
Finally got round to trying out the new bivi bag. This was my bed for Saturday night.

dsc00754small.jpg

Had a great nights sleep and really enjoyed being able to make a brew without getting out of bed.
Thanks again everyone for the advice.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE