Bivi wanted, please advise

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SimonD

Settler
Oct 4, 2010
Lincolnshire
As the title suggest I am after a bivi. Ideally I wanted one of the Endicotts modded Dutch bags but having just spoken to them it seems unlikely in the near future. So, does anyone have one they would like to sell, or can someone recommend a decent alternative. I would like it to have some sort of zipped opening if possible.

Thanks in advance,

Si.

preacherman

May 21, 2008
Cork, Ireland
been warned off the snugpak bivi by a few people tho

Just curious what you have been warned about. I have a snugpak bivi bag, the one with a centre zip and I have no issue with it. I've used it pretty much at least once a month for the last two years. (no connection to snugpak etc etc. )

Andrew

SimonD

Settler
Oct 4, 2010
Lincolnshire
Just curious what you have been warned about. I have a snugpak bivi bag, the one with a centre zip and I have no issue with it. I've used it pretty much at least once a month for the last two years. (no connection to snugpak etc etc. )

Andrew

couple of people had them leak on them in heavy rain and others have just remarked on the quality. i've ended up going for one of these :)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Dutch-Army-DP...Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item25619d937a

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
I use a highlander hawk proforce bivi ,it has a 3 foot zip on the side and a mossie net.I have had no problem whatsoever with it.Well wrth a look.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
I have three types of bivvy bag:

I have a super expensive hooped bag which i haven't used in years (it was very useful on the moors with no tarp though). If you are going to be using a tarp in conjunction with the bag, then i wouldn't bother going for a hooped version.

I have the issue bivvy bag (old type, and the new type with the wider neck opening). These get by far the most use as they are roomy, and super strong.

I have an Alpkit Hunka (standard size)- this is very lightweight, thin, and rather on the small side. That said, i bought it for its lightness (less than half the weight of the issue bivi bag), and it is just about long enough. It's breathability has been fine on the few occasions I’ve used it, but in theory it isn't supposed to be as breathable as a microporus type membrane (like goretex).

I have never had any problems with not having a side zip (or indeed, any zip) in my bivy bags- for me the 10 seconds or so longer it takes you to get into the bag at the start of the night is more then outweighed by the potential area for the bag to leak that can be presented by a zip. The later issue bivi bags are dead easy to get into without any zip (even in a hammock) as the head opening is so large, you can pretty much open it down to your waist.

I've just noticed in the above post I’ve used three different spellings for Bivvy (or was that Bivi, or Bivy?!).

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
That seems pricey for a used military bivvy to me mind!

I've got it on "watch" mind you;)

I've used the UK issue "goretex" bag since it was introduced and never had a scrap of bother.

I had a very expensive, NZ SAS, hooped bivvy, which was more or less just a goretex, one man tunnel tent. It was really good but I sold it to fund other "projects":rolleyes:

I also acquired the Snugpak bag but never used it, as I felt it was nowhere near sturdy enough for the kind of use I had in mind. Great if you need very light weight but not for me.

R.B.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE