Bivi bivi bivi

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

LM J

Nomad
Nov 26, 2008
Cumbria
I'm after a Bivy that I'm going to spending a considerable amount of time sleeping in. All in all, I thought this was to be a simple purchase until reading what Backpackinglight.co.uk had to say about the Rab Storm:

It comes with a waterproof base and breathable upper. This means you can use it with your sleeping mat 'inside' the bag. You can also use it as a ground sheet and sleep on top of the bag.

With something like the Survival Zone you have to place your sleeping mat 'under' the bag and even though you can use it as a ground sheet, it doesn't have the same hydrostatic head as the material used in this one.

Colours : Olive
Sizes : 2200mm x 800mm base
Weight: 490g

Features
* Waterproof, breathable Hyperlite Storm fabric
* Heavy duty 5000mm laminated nylon waterproof base
* Side walls maximise sleeping bag loft
* Vented zip with storm flap.

Our Price: £53.82

I suppose I just assumed that you put your sleeping mat in all bivis. What do people think to this bag? Good value for money?

Oh, and weight's a big consideration for me; which is why I've been put off many of the military surplus bags.

Treemonk

Forager
Oct 22, 2008
Perthshire
From my use of my bivvy bag, I would say that something with a midge-net would allow it to be used more. Without you are fine through the winter, but come the summer.... I'm thinking of getting my bivvy retro-fitted.

PS- I see we are practically neighbours!

LM J

Nomad
Nov 26, 2008
Cumbria
I'm sold on the Hunka.

From my use of my bivvy bag, I would say that something with a midge-net would allow it to be used more. Without you are fine through the winter, but come the summer.... I'm thinking of getting my bivvy retro-fitted.

PS- I see we are practically neighbours!

So we are, Treemonk. I'm on the Rectory, living with my mum and her partner for the winter. Am off when spring arrives...

LM J

Nomad
Nov 26, 2008
Cumbria
The new DD hammock can also be used as a bivi and comes with a mos'y net ??

Looks like a versatile piece of kit but the weight and volume would be concern both me and my needs. I'm trying to sell my Shangri-La 3 (old Hex 3; see thread: http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37454 ;)) for those reasons. If I'm not carefull I'm going to end up going round and around in circles.

Mosi net-wise: Lifesystems UltraNet (220g) looks like it would do the business in a variety of different circumstances.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE