Bit of tidying

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
f4711fc3f92d4f4516e9567ea002a717.jpg

Should be digging some of these up tomorrow
93a89cc3d5a0f7275c084210cdfffc6c.jpg

Bit of a disaster on the beans front.... terrible germination this year of the French beans...gonna try another variety
6b781e6ad010e4393e24599da680f909.jpg

Bout it at the mo.....lots of raspberries...
F

Last edited:

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Well spotted that man!!!
Yes I had some seed from British Red and as a biannual I have let four go to seed so I have got more seed for next year...BR says can grow to 8ft hence the hazel support sticks.....As for cmpanion planting I tend to plant onions and carrots together as onions help to ward off carrot fly.... The marigolds do the same for the onions....so far I've never had any carrot fly...good luck???
I also plants a few marigolds around my tomotoes in the greenhouse as they ward off aphids...??
I grow the marigolds from seed you get loads in a kit for nothing and the rest I plant round the garden.
I dunno if it works but I've had no problems....😉 d

Last edited:
I was planning to grow some of BRs parsnips for seed as well, trouble is I forgot and didn't have anywhere to put them. :) Not sure if it is too late to do plant some in now and leave them.

I have not seen carrot fly yet but time will tell. I struggled with getting the marigold to grow for some reason. Not sure if it was because I left them too long in the pot before planting. They don't seem to be very large plants. I was expecting bigger.
I have put in nasturtiums so I will see how they grow.

Ed the Ted

Forager
Dec 13, 2013
Scotland
Pretty much all of that is twice the size of mine up in the frozen north! Parsley and kale are the only things ready. I'm pretty new to growing, if my beans are smaller than those is there no hope?

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Pretty much all of that is twice the size of mine up in the frozen north! Parsley and kale are the only things ready. I'm pretty new to growing, if my beans are smaller than those is there no hope?
We all have to learn.... I am all the time... but I was taught by my old man never be afraid to ask others more experienced.. I do regularly and many on here ( you know who you are) are very generous with their time and patience.
The open pollinated parsnips I had off BR are fab... so are the wizard field beans... my french beans all failed this season and I think it's getting too late to plant more??? I'm gutted as we eat alot of them... my strawberries are crap but my rasberries are amazingly prolific!
Spuds are success as well...

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
My new Dutch Brown beans are going really well Dave, I can sort you some out for next year if you like? They are a bush bean producing something like a Haricot. I think I have cracked the shallot varieties too...got about 800 and some right whoppers too.

DanielCoffey

Jul 5, 2015
Edinburgh, UK
What made you settle on the Dutch Brown beans? Are they starchy and soft like a Borlotti when cooked or do they stay firm? I am interested because I find canned Borlotti too starchy and pasty when heated but like the way haricot or cannellini behave.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE