Biscuits with the Bakepacker

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
Hi folks!

Thought I would bake some biscuits today using my Bakepacker ultra light. I used a simple Bisquick mix that just requires 1/3 cup of water. Mix together then roll out with a pint Nalgene water bottle. The bottle can then be used to cut out the biscuits. Place inside an oven bag, then on the Bakepacker grid. Next, put grid ,bag and biscuits inside a two quart billy can/pot that has one inch of water in the pot. Cover with a lid and bring to a boil on medium heat. Once boiling, bake/boil for 12 minutes. Turn off flame and let stand for three minutes, to prevent "falling". Remove lid, open bag and you have nice fluffy biscuits. Top them off with butter/margarine and jelly for a nice treat.

Here are a few pictures...

The setup.
DSCN0830.jpg

The prep.
DSCN0834.jpg

Into the bag on the grid.
DSCN0836.jpg

Roll bag loosely.
DSCN0837.jpg

Bake for 12 minutes then allow to set for three minutes.
DSCN0848.jpg

Biscuits that are done.
DSCN0838.jpg

Parkay and jelly. Yum!
DSCN0841.jpg

The rest of the dough baked as one large biscuit.
DSCN0843.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Gordy

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
Gordy are these biscuits crunchy or are they more like bread or bannock, reason I ask is somewhere in my brain says American biscuits are the same as our scones in the UK, whereas what we know as biscuits are more like crackers.

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
Sniper:

Spot on John! The American biscuit is soft like scones but taste is more like bannock and savory in flavor. We use it as side bread for noon and evening meals and can be part of the main course for breakfast. Breakfast sandwiches made from biscuits, bacon and eggs or pork sausage and eggs, etc., etc. would fit the main course offering. Biscuits and country gravy are the traditional main breakfast offering of my extended family.

Though I am not certain, I would bet that they are a variation of bannock as the ingredients are similar.

Gordy

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Look good:)

I talk to several Americans on a very regular basis, one of them got me into 'Grits' about a year ago, fine eating:cool:

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
Something more akin to our bread rolls and scones then, try this for a treat Gordy, make a big one like the last picture, around the size of your palm, cut in half side to side, butter the lower half and fry an egg. Place the egg on top of the lower half, sprinkle with a little salt and a generous dollop of tomato ketchup, place the top back on like a burger and bite into it aaaaahhhhhhhhh esctassssssssssyyy! British army marched and fought on this for many years and still do, it's called an egg banjo!

BTW those plastic bags, do you put them into the oven? Don't they melt?

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Something more akin to our bread rolls and scones then, try this for a treat Gordy, make a big one like the last picture, around the size of your palm, cut in half side to side, butter the lower half and fry an egg. Place the egg on top of the lower half, sprinkle with a little salt and a generous dollop of tomato ketchup, place the top back on like a burger and bite into it aaaaahhhhhhhhh esctassssssssssyyy! British army marched and fought on this for many years and still do, it's called an egg banjo!

BTW those plastic bags, do you put them into the oven? Don't they melt?

mmmmm Egg Banjos:headbang:

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
Oh yes, egg sandwiches and ketchup!!!!! Folks outside my Cumberland Mountains think I am strange to put ketchup on eggs. The regular biscuits made in the oven in the kitchen are more of the size of the large one. The Bakepacker ultra-light is small so if you want multiple biscuits at once, then they tend to be small, as pictured in the first photos.

Oven bags do not melt in the oven or the Bakepacker. The Bakepacker instructions also recommend Zip-lock brand freezer storage bags, too. They do not melt either.

Egg sandwiches are quite common for me and the wife, though she likes her yolk hard fried.

Gordy

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
You can get oven bags from big supermarkets in britian. I have never used them for cooking because I am not lazy enough to want a self basting chicken. However using them camping seems like a great idea for a variety of dishes. Thank you very much Gordon for your inspirational post.

You can keep the squeezy marg over your side of the pond though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE