Birthday and Christmas Presents

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leon-1

Hi folks it's been a while since I could really post much as I have been away, but I turned 40 last year just before Christmas and as a treat was taken abroad. We went to Tallinn in Estonia. Here are a few pics. This was me in Tammsaare Park on the outskirts of the Old Town, it was only minus ten with a nine mile an hour wind, but the hat and the blanket smock that Neil made me kept me pretty warm.
tammsaareparkgc5.jpg

This is a picture of the Alexander Nevsky Cathedral

nevski1yy8.jpg

This is a better picture of the Alexander Nevsky cathedral

nevsky2ug5.jpg

This is the Viru Gate.

gateqe6.jpg

This is a Picture of the Town Hall and the Christmas Market.

townhallnightjv6.jpg

My other half had been to Tallinn before and had mentioned the Zoo, she had also mentioned that she was quite dissapointed in the conditions for the animals there the last time she was there. So we went along to see how things are now. Here are a few pictures.

lynx1wa0.jpg

I am sure that the one on the left was looking at my hat as something it could kill, they do say that the Eurasian lynx is capable of taking down Wild Boar and Reindeer. Seeing these fella's I wouldn't doubt it as they were far from being small for their species.

lynx2zg2.jpg

They are truly a beautiful animal and they are being kept in very good condition as well. When we approached the area my other half had been so dissapointed with before we came across this sign.

signjc7.jpg

and then after that we looked at a number of beasties, but this one was quite impressive.

snowleopardgh5.jpg

All in all Tallinn Zoo was a really impressive place, they had made some really nice improvements to the place since my other half had been there and it looks like they intend on carrying on the motion of trying to improve the conditions for the wildlife that they keep.

The animals seemed to be well looked after and generally happy, like these fella's

armadillosvv2.jpg

Unfortunately one of them woke up before we could get a picture of them both on their backs, but this apparently is the way that Armadillo sleep.

This is the replacement for my Old ventile which has had a hard life (once again made by Neil) built to work as part of a system with the blanket smock.
18187860jg8.jpg

Pretty handy as it has handwarmer pockets and it was a bit nippy out there that day, we had just been watching a Barn Owl hunting and as much as I enjoy watching wildlife I like to be able to feel my hands too.

I loved the trip to Tallinn, the old town is truly an amazing place and there is a huge amount of history to the place. I have also never been to a place with so many museums. They have museums for just about everything there. They have three Cathedrals (Saint Margaret's, Alexander Nevsky and St Peters) and a host of churches with some outstanding architecture. One building that is worth seeing is St Nicholas's as it had been a church, but after it having been bombed during WWII and since refurbed / rebuilt it now is effectively a council building and museum that holds art (the picture Dance Macabre is held there) and the various pieces of silverwork from the various guild that once controlled Tallinn. I can honestly say that Tallinn is well worth a visit. Also if you have a good appetite this is the place for you.

Did anyone else get anything interesting??

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Tallinn's a great place, been there many many times and have always enjoyed it, not been to the zoo though, perhaps on the next trip out there.

leon-1

Tallinn certainly looks worth a visit. Thanks for posting the photos and belated best wishes.

It's well worth a visit, if you're into history Tallinn has it in bucket loads. If you ever go it's worth getting a Tallinn Card that entitles you to free entry to pretty much all the museums and free use of public transport (which is reliable), there are other things it entitles you to, but the list is long. Thanks for the good wish Neil.

Tallinn's a great place, been there many many times and have always enjoyed it, not been to the zoo though, perhaps on the next trip out there.

The zoo was good, as I said the good lady had been before and as a result I knew a little about the place, but Lou (the other half) said about the amount of improvement it had undergone since she had last visited. Leave yourself plenty of time to have a good look about. The number6 trolley bus drops you off right at the zoo itself.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com

If you would have worn a long-ish dark / grey coat with a ditto scarf, you could have been mistaken for a native from that distance :eek:

хорошие картины мой друг
хороший, чтобы видеть Вы прекрасно провели время

:nana:

ATB

J.

leon-1

If you would have worn a long-ish dark / grey coat with a ditto scarf, you could have been mistaken for a native from that distance :eek:

хорошие картины мой друг
хороший, чтобы видеть Вы прекрасно провели время

:nana:

ATB

J.

The major problem mate was telling where the hat stopped and the hair / beard started:D

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
The major problem mate was telling where the hat stopped and the hair / beard started:D

:lmao: :lmao:

Looks like a good trip Leon, thanks for sharing

I don`t do zoos though, ever since visiting one with school and seeing the squalor the big cats lived in I said I never go again.

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
Hi leon, the photo's looks good, and it sounds like a good place to have a look around. Might have to go there this year do you need a visa?. last year it was poland for a week.
That one top jacket you got mate.
cheers Topknot.

leon-1

Very distiguished you look too! :cool:

It's the hat that does it:D

Andy as Kepis says they are in the EU so no Visa required, but there is a restriction to 250gramms of tobacco that you can bring back (somewhat different to the 3Kg that you can bring back from other countries in the EU).

If you go later in the year you have the Christmas market which is very good for woolen items and furry hats:D.

Reasonable sized Kuksa's for around £13 / £14 can be found in the shops in the old town and they also sell large wooden tankards (more like a stein).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE