Birch tapping weekend at Swyn's in April.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
This is something that was discussed at the New year meet with various interested parties.

I thought that I would post now to see If anyone had thoughts regarding the dates. Also the numbers of folks who would like to come. I would probably cap numbers at 20 bods (not children)

Everything, plantwise, usually happens 10 days later owing to the fact that we are on the 700ft contour here in the Chilterns.

I would like to try old and young trees to see how the sap tastes, also if it flows differently.

I would like to do a pit roast for the foodies (myself included) and other simple things such as making a fresh shoots salad this will be for the Saturday evening meal. Birch sap pudding recipies gratefully received!

By April the weather is usually benevolent so those less hardy may like to camp.

The site will be as per usual. The costs will be £10 pppd (adults)

Swyn.

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
This is going to be organised by me. I'm sure that some members of the bucks group will kindly get involved though!

Swyn.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
What a great opportunity, you're a star Swyn :D I just wish I could get down, there's not a whole lot of accessible Birch around here.

Great opportunity for people to have a great experience, it's fun, and rewarding as well as educational.

:You_Rock_

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
Thanks Tony for the kind words.

It would be good to see you and your even larger family!

We could get our insurers to leave in the original spelling mistake and call the event a BUSHHOOT again!........... Perhaps name this would stick in the future.

Cheers from Swyn.

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
I'm sorry to hear that Jason mate. Please don't end up completely worn out with all this work! :eek:

Can I be cheeky and ask to borrow the parachute please, in case the weather turns against us. If you can let me know I will collect it (and bring it back) in good time.:D

Cheers from Swyn.

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
Whilst on the subject of things to get hold of.....

I will try to get hold of some drill bits and will have a selection of new clear pipe to use for the sap collection. I will also remember to save plastic water bottles to do the collecting in.

If I can get hold of these bits and bobs I will try to make kits to use over the tapping week end.
Things like fitting steel rings onto the drill bits I will do in the meantime. My idea is that one can make a wooden handle to fit into the ring on the drill bit and then turn it in the tree, drilling the sap hole!:D

Swyn.

Bootstrap Bob

Jun 21, 2006
Oxfordshire
Swyn
Would love to come to this but I can't make it as I will be on honeymoon in Scotland.

Never mind at least I'm taking the canoe and I suppose I could take the auger bit and find a birch tree up there :D

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Would have been interested, but we are having an Oxfordshire meet-up in April and SWMBO won't let me out twice in a month!

Geoff

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
19th and 20th April are firm dates.

I hope all those who have expressed an interest can make it as this should be a fun weekend.

I have been asking questions on methods to extract sap easily and kindly and there seems to be no general rule. The best advice that I have been given is to try all methods as the trees vary so much too. Like all things in nature there are ways to 'do' that suit best at the time!

Swyn.

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
OK now. Here's an update on this weekend.

I put the venison, that was bagged yesterday, in the freezer ready for the pit roast. I would like to try vegetables in the pit along with the meat. There some vegetarians coming so please do not worry if you are not a meat eater, there will be alternatives.

The firewood has been cut and is quite dry now (a bit better than in the winter anyway!) I will get on with splitting and hopefully finish most of it by next weekend.

There seems to be a large group of children coming this time so those who are not used to this please beware as they will certainly be as noisy as ever!

I am trying to encourage the 'FAMILY' theme here so those with doubts, please try to come along. You should be pleasantly surprised.

I am not planning anything too serious over these two days apart from trying all methods to extract sap from our Birch trees. It will also be interesting to see the results of our endeavours over the next twelve months.
The location of these trees is still a mystery to me! I am considering making a different route through the woodland to each individual tree. This may prove interesting!

The numbers stand at 18 at the moment.

If you are intending to come please can you let me know as soon as possible. Thanks.

Swyn.

lupus

Forager
Mar 28, 2007
at home
cant make it that weekend. was down the woods last weekend and again to night and got a reading meet next weekend.:sadwavey:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE