Birch Sap - why is it yellow??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bushtank

Nomad
Jan 9, 2007
king lynn
i think perhaps someone has been caught short and used it as a loo :lmao:
only joking not sure mate as only tapped a few myself and not had this at all :beerchug:

I tapped two the other day same type of tree about 8ft away from each other and we didn't leave the area so no one took a leak in my bottles , anyway one was clear as water and the other bottle had a yellow tinge to it , tasted ok but wasn't sweet. oh yes they were my first :D

Hi all,
I collected half a litre over night, and plugged the tree after that. I emptied my collection bucket twice though, the first time it was yellow and sickly sweet (sweet might be the wrong word, but it tasted like the kind of sweetness they add to some medicine), but the second filling was perfectly clear, and had little taste at all (although it did quench my thirst). I am going to look into what you can do with the sap like wine, syrup etc.

DSCF1178Small.jpg

For a funnel out of the tree, I used a dead twig of ash with the soft pith scraped out of the middle. This worked suprisingly well, shame it was my friend's idea though :rolleyes:

cheers,

woodwalker

BMFHL

Feb 9, 2007
Dublin
Anyone try making syrup from it? I read elsewhere that you have to reduce it down to 10 percent to get syrup, but I had to reduce it to about 1 or at most 2 percent to get anything like a syrup. It's also not that tasty, at least I don't really care for it. I reckon a less condensed drink is probably the best way to get the sugars without compromising the taste. It's not too bad at all when in a watery solution, quite refreshing. Or you could just drink litres of the raw sap.

Thoughts?

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
I have just retrieved my collected sap, tapped from the birch on my allotment and it too has a slight yellow tinge. The taste is hard to describe but definitely not sweet. The closest thing I could make a comparison is a poor mans coconut milk.

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
woodwalker said:
Yeah, I think sweet was probably the wrong word of mine to use. At least I know what tasted like...

For all those who don't, I would recommend tapping a tree anyway, its good fun and apparently you can make wine.

woodwalker

Making wine was the idea for me but I didn't collect enough sap despite leaving the tap in overnight and only managed aroung 1/2 pint. I'm not sure why but could have been for a number of reasons; the birch I tapped is getting on as it's a big old boy and the main trunk is a bit gnarled; I tapped the tree too high up on the trunk (I tapped at arount 4 feet up); I tapped too deep/not deep enough (it was about 3/4 inch)?

I'm not sure what went wrong but will work it out over time with experience.

I did take some pics...

The tap...
Image025.jpg

Into the container...
Image026.jpg

Closeup on the container...
Image027.jpg

This much within around 30 minutes but the flow must have dried somewhat as the end result was around double this overnight and most of the following day...
Image028.jpg

Halfdevil333

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 3, 2006
On the Banks of Loch Lomond
matt-w said:
Making wine was the idea for me but I didn't collect enough sap despite leaving the tap in overnight and only managed aroung 1/2 pint. I'm not sure why but could have been for a number of reasons; the birch I tapped is getting on as it's a big old boy and the main trunk is a bit gnarled; I tapped the tree too high up on the trunk (I tapped at arount 4 feet up); I tapped too deep/not deep enough (it was about 3/4 inch)?

I'm not sure what went wrong but will work it out over time with experience.

I did take some pics...

The tap...
Image025.jpg

Into the container...
Image026.jpg

Closeup on the container...
Image027.jpg

This much within around 30 minutes but the flow must have dried somewhat as the end result was around double this overnight and most of the following day...
Image028.jpg

Matt where the hose goes into your bottle looks as if it was a good fit?

If it is then this may be your problem as you fill the bottle you need to displace some air from within the bottle.So if you dont have any vent holes then the resulting back pressure will slow your flow right down or even stop it.

Now im not saying this is your problem but it could be.

Hope this helps
Scott

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Hi Scott,

No mate, it isn't air tight at all there's a couple of millimetres gap around the tube where it enters the lid but I know what your saying.

andy_bell

Dec 13, 2006
west yorkshire
I just found this on a different forum and thought of your yellow sap,

a cautionary warning to us all.

Freddy Bloggs, a friend of mine
Once went to make some Birch Sap Wine.
So, off he went with brace and bucket,
And took his bit and firmly stuck it
Into the bottom of a tree
Until the sap flowed steadily.
Now, he had intended there to stay,
But a call of nature came his way,
And while he nipped off behind a log,
Up came a great big husky dog.
I'd like to say it went straight by,
But no, I cannot tell a lie.
I'll tell you everything I knows-
The level in the bucket rose.

Back came Freddy, much relieved,
A gallon already? He hardly believed,
But there it was, so home he went
And added yeast and nutrient.

At last the finished wine was ready,
And, eager for some praise, our Freddy
Gave some to yours truly for advice.
I used a rude word and used it twice!
But one judge I know - you know him too,
He likes a very spicy brew.
I heard his comment, " Ah, very fine,
That tastes like an Alsatian wine."

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE