Birch sap rising near me

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Radix lecti

Native
Jan 15, 2006
Gloucester
Had a look at a patch of Birch trees near my place today and found the sap is rising around here. May have to tap some soon.:)
Found a nice Birch polypore too.
Cheers
Daz
P.S i plugged the small hole i made in the tree.

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 45
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 57
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 66
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 63

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I already have a gallon of wine fermenting - and collecting sap for the second gallon now!
Then it will be a third gallon for syrup!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Had a go at this whilst out shooting last night, I was surprised how quick it comes out. Has anyone a quick suggestion on how to make the syrup?

Thankyou :)

Put it in an open pan and boil it until you have driven off most of the water - simples!
I intend doing this with the third gallon I collect this year... - 1 gallon should make a small bottle of syrup.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Hi John, i bet that wine tastes good when its ready.

Darren

A couple of years to get to its best...the owners of the woods I have sole user perm on think it is pretty good :)
Just as well as the sap I used is from their trees - so they are paying their own rent realy :)

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
The only thing i struggled with yesterday was getting the tap to transport the sap down it... Plugging after collecting half a mug was no problems.

Any suggestions please as i have a whole woodland of birch to use at my leasure.

al.

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
Its rising near me to, the last two years it did not get started until about the 20th of March, so it is much earlier this year

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
The only thing i struggled with yesterday was getting the tap to transport the sap down it... Plugging after collecting half a mug was no problems.

Any suggestions please as i have a whole woodland of birch to use at my leasure.

al.

Wine, wine and wine!
Oh - and perhaps a bit of wine!
I use an old brace and bit to drill a hole into the tree and then use the bung from a demi-john (the kind predrilled for an airlock) to hold my collecting tube. The tube runs into a plastic container and the neck is filled with cotton wool.
This allows me to leave the collection to nature while I do other things!
Once I have taken all I need from the tree a solid bung is then used to seal the hole.
I have used this method for several years and none of the trees have suffered more than a little scarring which has healed quickly :)

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Ahhh... cheers john!

I used a pinky thick auger yesterday and the sap was pretty much running out... But despite my best efforts and limited time, i could not carve a tap that would stop the sap running down the tree, rather than tap! carved a channel down it, tried various positions but it would not play ball.

I have some rubber hose in my hand now, that looks slightly larger than the auger so i might give that a bash when home :)

It's really is refreshing to drink despite the limited ammount i collected though.

Cheers, al.

Last edited:

zarkwon

Nomad
Mar 23, 2010
West Riding, Yorkshire
Ahhh... cheers john!

I used a pinky thick auger yesterday and the sap was pretty much running out... But despite my best efforts and limited time, i could not carve a tap that would stop the sap running down the tree, rather than tap! carved a channel down it, tried various positions but it would not play ball.

I have some rubber hose in my hand now, that looks slightly larger than the auger so i might give that a bash when home :)

It's really is refreshing to drink despite the limited ammount i collected though.

Cheers, al.

How do you type with a hose in one hand? Must take practice:naughty:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I now have 2 gallons of Birch sap wine bubbling away and a 1/2 bottle (Aldis Maple syrup bottle :)) of birch syrup that I boiled down from another gallon of sap.
I have now plugged all 6 trees I was tapping and will move onto other projects - the nettles are starting to come now so nettle wine and nettle beer (plus more nettle soup - I still have some in the freezer from last year :) ) will soon be under way!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE