Birch Polypor

Question

I have a good crop of birch polypore available to me. Firstly I was looking at how to prep it as a usful material. I hacked it in to lumps and dried it out to be used as fire lighters... then discovered on another thread that it was best sliced thinly and dried.

Having done this it dawned on me that this was actally quite labour intensive; not in terms of shelter making etc but in the fact that it needs to be collected, sliced, dried and stored for later. Does this not make the whole process a little laborious? Surely there are other, more simple alternatives readily available? Reedmace is a fantastic ember extender, cramp balls too, birch bark takes a spark without too much work... birch polypore grows on birch so if you already have a source of tinder, why go through the whole process of drying it out etc?

Playing devils advocate, I like the collectiing etc but as far as survival or bushcraft isn't this a little tenuous? I have a bloody great pile of drying fungus in my office at the moment so please justify its worth!!!

Leo

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
It is easily collected (when present) and in areas like mine where there is a shortage of Birch it saves you stripping all the available bark too quickly. I dry it just by keeping it in my workroom until it is needed - so that is no effort - and slice off what I need when I need it, so not much effort there either.
Polypore also makes good strops and a "smudge" for repelling insects - the polypore is quite versatile!

It is easily collected (when present) and in areas like mine where there is a shortage of Birch it saves you stripping all the available bark too quickly. I dry it just by keeping it in my workroom until it is needed - so that is no effort - and slice off what I need when I need it, so not much effort there either.
Polypore also makes good strops and a "smudge" for repelling insects - the polypore is quite versatile!

Thanks John

So you literally just dry the whole bracket and shave off fine slithers to form tinder? Does that take a spark from a fire steel or is it the next step after you've got an ember? Sounds far more sensible now! Sure the lumps I have cut already will come in usefull in the kelly kettle!

The birch polypore might be useful but the tree it lives on is amazing. (have now added the much missed 'e' of polypore too!)

Leo

Last edited:

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
Thanks John

So you literally just dry the whole bracket and shave off fine slithers to form tinder? Does that take a spark from a fire steel or is it the next step after you've got an ember? Sounds far more sensible now! Sure the lumps I have cut already will come in usefull in the kelly kettle!

The birch polypore might be useful but the tree it lives on is amazing. (have now added the much missed 'e' of polypore too!)

Leo

cut it when wet, it's far easier. :)

Yep scuff it up and it should hold a spark or spark some char cloth then hold it by the BP to catch.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
good sharp knife slides through BP without probs, make some nice thin slices and dry away, you'll have a nice set of tinder in no time.
pete

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I cut it as I need it as I find that fine cut slices tend not to survive too well in my tinder pouch!
I provide medium cut pieces with my firelighting kits which only require a little trimming/slicing to give flamable tinder that will light from a coal.
Use the remaining lump of dried BPF as a strop after you cut slices off a big dry lump.
A sharp knife slices easily throgh even the driest BPF!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I find if I leave them around too long the insects devour the insides out of them :sigh: All that's left is a shell and dust :(
Check them carefully.

Fortunately there are massive amounts of Birch around up here.

cheers,
Toddy

Laughoutlouder

Forager
Jun 21, 2009
Dublin
How you doin craft people. Can anyone tell me if it is a polypore which has the amadou(spelling) which is very easily lit? Sliced a BP up a while ago looking for this mystery layer but saw nothing! Advice appreciated!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
How you doin craft people. Can anyone tell me if it is a polypore which has the amadou(spelling) which is very easily lit? Sliced a BP up a while ago looking for this mystery layer but saw nothing! Advice appreciated!

I think you want to try "Horses Hoof " fungus - a different bracket fungus....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE