Birch Bark knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
Finally got some time to handle a blade ive had around for a bit.

01 tool steel, Birch bark and Brass. First go at bark

It has a stainless threaded rod brazed on to the tang (after the bolster was fitted) and the butt plate is drilled and tapped to take the rod. Then the buttcap was screwed on to draw the whole thing up tight. It has been finished with danish oil, while not being the shiniest it has good grip.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Beautiful :D
I'm very fond of birchbark handles; they're so incredibly 'right' somehow.
I like that soft sheen rather than the glossy varnished look too.

I have one sitting here with all the bits cut and haven't gotten around to putting it all together yet. It's a Lauri blade.
You're putting me in the notion to get on with it :eek:

atb,
M

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Looks like great workmanship Ash. I don't like the blade proportions as much as your others - slightly short and squat - I think this bark work on a slimmer and longer blade like some of your other puukkos would be amazing. That speaks more to my personal taste than the knife however - I can't fault the finish - really stunning.

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
Looks like great workmanship Ash. I don't like the blade proportions as much as your others - slightly short and squat - I think this bark work on a slimmer and longer blade like some of your other puukkos would be amazing. That speaks more to my personal taste than the knife however - I can't fault the finish - really stunning.

I agree, if/when i do another in bark i would do things different. It should have had a longer handle (its 4" but planned 4.5") I squashed the bark in a vice to 4.5" but when i screwed the butt on it came out 4".

Also it looked better when i drew it. Drawings are good but you never can tell what it will come out like until you just get on and make it.

Having said all that it is very very comfortable in hand!

I want to do another just need this sodd of a flat to sell so that i can get a workshop. Never buy a flat :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE