Birch bark basketry

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
Anybody know much about this sort of stuff?

I was idly googling about, when I saw this:
hjortron.jpg

Reminded me of "lapti": birch bark shoes that are worn in Russia.

Keith.

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Keith, some of the guys were making birch bark stuff at Ashdown. Mainly folded and clipped designs rather than woven but it does make a very nice container.

Bill

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
I've done a wee bit of birch bark work....only the same stuff they were doing at Ashdown, it's fairly easy to do....well, I can do it and I'm not really the handicraft type! lol.... The main problem I've found is getting large clear sheets of bark off the trees by us....most of the trees are only about 4 to 6 inch diametre and have knowls and branches and stuff to stop you getting large complete sheets off in one!

I haven't tried weaving with it though.....yet... :eek:):

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
I only get really good bark when a tree falls and I get to skin it. The main problem I've found is it tends to dry and curl horribly when kept in a modern house. You can make a nice join using a slot in one side and a tab in the other. Kept some of my fishing gear in birch bark pouches until they went curly. Soaking doesn't seem to restore them - any quick fixes?

Realgar

brucemacdonald

Forager
Jul 5, 2004
right here
Yep, there was some basic birch-bark work being done at Ashdown.

I have found the same problem as well, trying to find sheets of bark large enough and free of holes and knots. One trick apparently is to soak the bark in warm water which makes it more pliable. One problem I find is that some birch bark comes off with the tough inner bark which can be difficult to remove.

Those are cloudberries in the picture, I believe.

Best wishes

Bruce

Fallow Way

Nomad
Nov 28, 2003
Staffordshire, Cannock Chase
I`m a birch bark craftsman. The problem is as the guy who taught me says, the only use our birch bark is good for is burning:)

On certain old trees, and more common in the north of scotland, you can get decent thickness of bark. However as this skill, if it was used at all as currently I`m not aware of any evidence there was, although i belive they would have, relies on the sort of bark that you get when it thickens to insulate itself against a cold climate, the right stuff comes from Norway/Sweden and the like, the Taiga generally.

I`m going in a few weeks to learn some advanced weaving skills. I shall photo and upload if any of it turns out to be decent :)

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Nomad said:
I`m a birch bark craftsman. The problem is as the guy who taught me says, the only use our birch bark is good for is burning:)

On certain old trees, and more common in the north of scotland, you can get decent thickness of bark. However as this skill, if it was used at all as currently I`m not aware of any evidence there was, although i belive they would have, relies on the sort of bark that you get when it thickens to insulate itself against a cold climate, the right stuff comes from Norway/Sweden and the like, the Taiga generally.

I`m going in a few weeks to learn some advanced weaving skills. I shall photo and upload if any of it turns out to be decent :)

Thanks for that Nomad....at least I know it's not just me being a muppet now! lol :biggthump

Fallow Way

Nomad
Nov 28, 2003
Staffordshire, Cannock Chase
Realgar - I`ve had birch bark containers sitting in my house for about a year now, no curling. There are a couple of tricks. Sizing is important, anything that sticks out on its own that can be dried up by the air can curl. If containers are curling inward upon itself, assuming you`ve taken the outermost bark off (a tall order without it becoming see-though in this country) the most common method is counter laying bark. Basically two peice back to back, to any attempt to curl by one is stopped by the other and vice versa....this is how birch bark is stored easily, stacked back to back with a couple of weights on.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I make berrying baskets and little pouches with birch bark. Even our thin barks can be cut into strips and it stays flexible, and as the previous posts say, two layers support each other, so the old over /under/over under is the way to go. I store my pieces outside under a heavy plank weighted down with bricks to flatten them out. The wood rots but the bark is really long lasting. I find that even messily extracted bark becomes much more useable if it's scraped, on both sides if necessary. Dry the scrapings, they make great firestart tinder. I've sewn some of the pieces I got last week and they're ok, but not brilliant. Wish I could get hold of some really good quality stuff. :cry:

Toddy

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
It's not just our Birch bark that is suffering is suffering, I was told that in Canada they are having a problem with their Birch bark thinning. The men in white coats and lots of coloured pens have put it down to acid rain. The bark is thinning to the point that the bark canoe makers have a problem sourcing quality bark and they may have to look at importing.
A certain man has recently took delivery of a new canadian birch bark canoe which might be seen soon......... :wink:

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
Nomad said:
Realgar - I`ve had birch bark containers sitting in my house for about a year now, no curling. TBasically two peice back to back, to any attempt to curl by one is stopped by the other and vice versa....this is how birch bark is stored easily, stacked back to back with a couple of weights on.
that's so bleeding obvious I should have thought of it a long time ago - cheers
Realgar

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
Just because no-ones said yet how to start this off for the uninitiated...

To obtain birch bark the best time to do it is in the spring, when the tree is beginning to show life again, and won't mind losing a bit of the extra protection it put on for winter.

First, find a birch tree with a large smooth section of trunk with few nots, burrs, hole etc (harder than it sounds!). With a sharp knife, cut into the tree (not very deep) in a straight vertical line. Use the tip of the knife to lift this away a bit to ensure you've gone deep enough, if not cut a bit deeper. Its safets to cut this way as a vertical cut doesn't cause any damage to the tree if you go too deep (whereas a big horizontal cut could cause minor ringing damage).

Then, move round the tree, and cut an identical vertical cut. Finally, cut horizontally between the two vertical cuts - you should now have a square of birch bark that you will use for basketry/weaving.

Repeat this on different trees to obtain enough bark - remembering not to cut too deep, or take too much bark from any tree, particularly diseased or damaged ones.

As has already been said, take these squares of bark, and place them back to back (I generally use clothes pegs to hold them flat) and if you like put a weight on top to keep them flat. For making containers, there are two main ways.

One is to roll the bark up into a cylinder to make a tube. Then take circles of bark larger than the diameter of your cylinder, and draw a smaller circle just fractionally bigger than your cylinder on this circle. Cut 'tabs' in towards this inner circle, and fold up these outer tabs. Take strips of birch bark and weave these in and out of the tabs to form 'sides' to the lid, securing them where they overlap with a couple of stitches. Alternatively, fold the extra length of the tabs back over the woven-in strips and weave the tabs into these strips to secure. Without a picture this might be hard to explain :) The height of your lid depends on the length of your tabs and the number of strips used. Make two of these lids, and use them on both ends of a tube, stitching one lid to the tube if necessary to make a base.

(Note, throughout this, you could use glue instead of stitching, I just prefer stitching with home-made cordage for a traditional effect).

The second method is the one pictured at the top of this thread - this is a 'circular' basket, but you can more easily make a square one.

To make either, begin by weaving a flat mat of strips of birch, and ensure you leave plenty of unwoven excess hanging off in all directions. The woven flat part is your base, and the shortest of the excess will determine the basket height.

A circular basket is difficult - you have to begin weaving together the strips from adjoining sides, at 45 degrees to each other, and work round til you complete the basket. This kind is best if someone shows you how :)

A square basket is much easier - simply fold all the excess up at each side so you have 4 vertical sides - then take new strips of bark, and weave these horizontally round in and out of the side strips, alternating the weave for each strip you add. When you get high enough, fold the vertical strips over the top of the top horizontal strip, and weave these back in to the horizontal strips, opposite to the way you weaved on the way up. This foldover is also often done for circular baskets (and for the lids in the cylinder method described above) and can be seen in the image at the top, where the lip of the basket is rounded.

Hope this all makes sense! :?:

EDIT: I forgot to say, have a large number of small washing line pegs to hand - these are infinitely useful for holding woven sections/strips in place so you can weave one bit, then peg it, and move on to another without your original work becoming undone... And if you want to practice, try using thin cardboard or thick paper first, save wasting your precious bark!

Second EDIT: I forgot to say, whenever you are weaving, you can add in new strips of bark by overlaying two strips and weaving with both together for a section til they grip together - this is useful when you can't get many long strips, but want to make a high-sided basket.

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
I know that I am most probably being a bit thick, but can anyone get some pictures up on this subject, or suggest a decent web site on this subject.

I really want to have a go at the type of containers that uncle Ray is famous for, the type with the wood base and lid, and I really don't know where to start.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE