Birch axe mask

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
I recently bought this Hultafors axe but it doesn't come with a mask. It's the Carpenters axe, with a fairly square edge that I've rounded to make it more like a regular bush axe. I wanted to try this weight of head on the shorter handle.
http://www.hultafors.com/products/cutting/axes/carpenters-axes/carpenters-axe-sy-sv/

007_zps2092c6c8.jpg

I would have to drive for three hours to get some leather, or else get some via the mail. Since I'm lousy at leather work, and cheap too:eek:, I decided to try making some sort of mask that costs nothing but time. With birch being the wood that I carve with, I thought I'd give that a try.
It's not meant to be pretty, rather just functional and utilitarian. This is what I came up with.
001_zps7371b076.jpg

002_zps1a839e30.jpg

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
I like it, nice axe as well, I'm going to copy that thanks as having 30 axes to choose from I'm always stuffed to find a mask that fits when going out in the woods with an axe.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I used a hook knife then narrowed and deepened it with an ordinary mora. The blade 'hooks' into it so can't slide out even if the leather thong is a little slack.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Excellent & reliable. Looks very much like the blade masks used for elbow
and D-adze blades by the Pacific Northwest native wood carvers (and me).
I've sometimes made a covering with leather salvaged from worn out boots.

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
Thanks guys.
The idea for this was tucked away in a corner of my mind for quite some time. I knew that I saw something like it before but for the life of me couldn't remember where. Finally, it came to me.... thanks Wayland! Your thread is where I got the idea, here: http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=103594&highlight=
Credit where credit is due:)

mrcharly, I like the one you made with the hook at the bottom. That's a great idea.

To cut the slot I first tried using a thin blade and cutting it out but wasn't satisfied, so went with the modern route. I took a piece of birch long enough to keep my fingers away from the blade and cut the slot with a sliding mitre saw with the depth stop set so as not to go too deep. After cutting it I then cut the piece to length and carved it as seen above.

Another method would be to use a Dremel tool with an appropriate bit.

A table saw would probably be the easiest though. To do that, I would take a large enough piece of wood and set the fence so the wood would be centred over the blade. Have the blade completely lowered before doing this. A large enough piece would keep your fingers safe and allow the piece to be finish carved afterwards, eliminating the need to be completely precise with it's placement on the saw table.
Simply raise the blade to whatever depth you want the cut to be and you're done.
The curvature of the blade matches the curve of many axes quite nicely.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE