Biltong no no's?

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
I have ordered a biltong box (just the DIY type but for the price I couldn't even be bothered to make it myself) and I wanted to experiment with a few seasonings and I have looked at a few threads at what I should do but wanted to see if there is anything I shouldn't? For example maybe don't use bread crumbs as they absorb the blood and don't dry out properly? (That was just a totally fictional example as I am clueless)

Thanks in advance.

Rabid

Nomad
Dec 15, 2014
Sleaford Lincolnshire
Make sure that you wash of the salt etc or it will dry on the meat and turn it white still edible but not pretty. I was mine off with a water and balsamic vinegar mixture puts a lovely sheen on the meat.
Dont dry it too much I like mine with a bit of chewiness.
Prepare to learn from your experiences, I did.:)

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
Make sure that you wash of the salt etc or it will dry on the meat and turn it white still edible but not pretty. I was mine off with a water and balsamic vinegar mixture puts a lovely sheen on the meat.
Dont dry it too much I like mine with a bit of chewiness.
Prepare to learn from your experiences, I did.:)

I read somewhere not to wash it off with water as it defeats the purpose of what you are trying to achieve?

I like mine rock hard like an old boot :D

Rabid

Nomad
Dec 15, 2014
Sleaford Lincolnshire
The salt draws the blood and juices from inside the meat washing it of will not make the inside wet again. pat it dry with kitchen paper then add your own dry herbs and spices a favourite in our house is coriander and chilli.
I also serve it thinley sliced up and sparsely coated in homemade chilli jam.

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
The salt draws the blood and juices from inside the meat washing it of will not make the inside wet again. pat it dry with kitchen paper then add your own dry herbs and spices a favourite in our house is coriander and chilli.
I also serve it thinley sliced up and sparsely coated in homemade chilli jam.

Is there anything you have tried that you thought "oh that has spoilt a good piece of meat!"?

Rabid

Nomad
Dec 15, 2014
Sleaford Lincolnshire
Is there anything you have tried that you thought "oh that has spoilt a good piece of meat!"?

No it is all down to taste I like fiery hot chilli the reast of the family arent so keen so I tame it down a bit. But I havent spoiled any meat yet. If in doubt cover it in chilli jam or chutney and serve and enjoy

bob_the_baker

May 22, 2012
Swansea

I once made some Thai spiced beef jerky and added some nam pla unfortunately I ended up with a bit too much of a fishy tang. Still ate it of course, but it was not the desired result.

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
I read somewhere that it doesn't matter if you use the best cuts of meat like silverside or the cheapest, as it all tastes the same in the end? and that supermarket meats are injected with water to increase the weight? i know they do it with cooked meats as it also keeps it from drying out but to raw too? is this true???

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Lots of water added to fresh meats, it's very common. I notice a massive difference in dried weight between cheaper supermarket meats and more expensive ones from supermarkets and butchers. generally, the higher price the meat, the more finished weight I end up with. Higher priced meats with no water added tend to be much better value and have a better taste and texture.

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Biltong. $2 word for seasoned +/- smoked dried meat? The taste and texture of a good meat sort of gets lost
between the slicing, the curing and the marinade. Keep cheap.

Buy a side of 2 yr old bison and do whatever you like for dried/seasoned whole and ground meats.
Health Canada claims that our beef has 11g fat per 100g cooked meat. Chicken is 8g, Bison is 2g, like all our wild game (moose/elk/deer/etc).
You want lean meat, cut-it-with-a-fork-tender? Get over here, you can shoot your own.
Or, $3/lb on the hook and $0.50/lb to cut, wrap, label and quick freeze. Mind you they are really boney critters
so you take home about $4/lb for fabulous organic, no water added meat.

I do dried ground meat with a cure and a seasoning mix (Cabela's = no outfitter on the planet like those people).
a) On double cake racks in a slow oven
b) In an 8-tray dehydrator.

Doing whole meat, all sliced about 1/4" thick,is about the same

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Biltong. $2 word for seasoned +/- smoked dried meat? The taste and texture of a good meat sort of gets lost
between the slicing, the curing and the marinade. Keep cheap.

Buy a side of 2 yr old bison and do whatever you like for dried/seasoned whole and ground meats.
Health Canada claims that our beef has 11g fat per 100g cooked meat. Chicken is 8g, Bison is 2g, like all our wild game (moose/elk/deer/etc).
You want lean meat, cut-it-with-a-fork-tender? Get over here, you can shoot your own.
Or, $3/lb on the hook and $0.50/lb to cut, wrap, label and quick freeze. Mind you they are really boney critters
so you take home about $4/lb for fabulous organic, no water added meat.

I do dried ground meat with a cure and a seasoning mix (Cabela's = no outfitter on the planet like those people).
a) On double cake racks in a slow oven
b) In an 8-tray dehydrator.

Doing whole meat, all sliced about 1/4" thick,is about the same

Excellent, though it is, for meat, wilderness outfitting and all kinds of other delights for the bushcrafter, BC remains 6000 miles away. All-out relocation isn't a realistic option for many of us and it's more than a stroll down the shops, so we make do with what we have to hand

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Ah yes and it is a very long trek from Vancouver to Gatwick & return.
Two things come up in the few years that I've been making dried/cured meats.
The process is far more important than the meat type.

1. The quest for a seasoning that I like. Cabela's Hi Mountain Variety Pack (# 34589) was recommended.
The Cracked Pepper & Garlic was too hot for me but easy to tone down with any of the others.
2. I've _never_ seen this ground meat technique written down, anywhere:

After adding the cure and seasoning, I'll put on one of those disposable vinyl gloves and begin mixing.
Squishing and twisting the meat through my fingers. Beyong the very act of mixing, keep squishing!
I was mentored. The guy told be that in lengthy mixing, you can feel and see the texture of the meat changing.
It becomes very smooth textured. Then spread it out for drying. The result has a texture not unlike that of whole meats.
I reserved some for comparison and it had a granular, lumpy texture and crumbled readily.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE