Biltong in Cardiff

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Hi guys,

I discovered a South African shop in Cardiff that sells all sorts of South Africa goods. Im happy to get stuff for people, just send money for the goods and postage, im not interested in making money, but i am intersted in supporting this shop, as it's struggling.

Next time im in town i'll have a look at exactly what they've got and i'll make a list. To start, i can remember biltong, stockies (chopped biltong sticks, very chewy but my favourite), droewoers, boerewors, lemon roibos, some south african lagers (i'll verify ;) ) etc.

So if you need anything, just let me know and i'll got in and buy it. Just send me the cost when you receive you stuff.

Cheers,

Jake

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Shall do! You can still ask me to get you some of the stuff listed though. I think its springbok biltong, beef stockies. Both £2.30 for 50gms.

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
For those north of the border(s) ;) there's a shop in Edinburgh called Ndebele Cafe on Home Street that supplies everything South Afircan from Biltong to Potjie Pots. Even have Zambezi, Castle, Windhoek, Savannah and Hunters! :D

Really nice people although I suspect it maybe more expensive than the shop down south.

..... just discovered they are online too.

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
(Wallies ;) )

No its a new place thats just opened in the castle arcade. Opposite Claire Grove buttons and the celtic caldron. Its great, its a bit stretched for stock, but the woman is very friendly, and it looks like she is struggling.

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
aha, just round the corner from one of the outdoor shops? much more lmited stock than wallies... looks more like a place to be served rather than browse? Next time I'll go in rather than look through the window

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Yep, near the outdoor shops. Much cheaper than wallies though. And i think it will grow alot if it's a success.

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
Mmm - advantages to living in Edinburgh - went to Ndebele last night and had lekke Boerewors with Samp 'n Beans - delicious! :D

However, if you're seriously addicted to biltong like me, then making your own is surprisingly easy and worthwhile.

Use this technique for drying the meat:

http://www.bushcraftuk.co.uk/200/oven_jerky.html

But if you want a good biltong taste, dip the meat strips into vinegar (cider vinegar is nicest) then shake off the excess, and sprinkle on some crushed black pepper and coriander seeds (and chilli if you want some spice).

Turns out lovely!

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Lekke eh? Never seen that spelled before! :D

Don't fancy making it yet, but i reckon i might give it a go in the future.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE