Billy can

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 17, 2019
Wales
Every time I boil water in my TBS Billy can with the lid on or off I get a strange unnatural taste in the water, which makes my coffee taste not so nice.

Any idea why this could be?

And there any think I can do to prevent this?

Many thanks

May 17, 2019
Wales
I have only ever put water in the Billy can used it about four times now, I use a camp fire to heat up the water and I make a pot hanger out of sticks.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Just exploring the variables (always useful in diagnostics :) ) - if you've boiled it four times and you are still getting unnatural taste I would look at something other than the billy. Tap water contains a lot of chemicals; I can't drink it because we are on natural spring water that has no taste - try a bottle water to see if the taste is still there. Also, what cup are you using? is the taste there if you make a cup of coffee in that cup at home? Do you use different coffee at camp than you do at home?

I'm always amazed how different coffee and tea tastes in a metal mug compared to bone china; shame bone china isn't more durable :)

May 17, 2019
Wales
Good idea I will definatly try that tomorrow, I'm beginning to think it is because I have been using pine wood with a high resin content on the fire.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I don’t know these billys, is there a lid?

If not, then it’ll probably be smoke. I had a foul cup of tea years ago boiling the billy on hexi blocks. Not only did it take about half an hour to boil, it tasted vaguely like chemically polluted fish.:yuck:

Reactions: Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I don’t know these billys, is there a lid?

If not, then it’ll probably be smoke. I had a foul cup of tea years ago boiling the billy on hexi blocks. Not only did it take about half an hour to boil, it tasted vaguely like chemically polluted fish.:yuck:

That's the best description yet of that phenomenon :) Foul taste and it stayed with me all day too.

M

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
pine wood with a high resin content on the fire.

Oh, that'll do it. Also, how long are you taking to boil? The longer its in that tarry smoke the more the grotty taste will stick, especially if you are hanging the pot quite high in the air. Using the lid, a hotter fire, get the pot closer to it ... all help in that particular area.

I remember once asking a doctor why I had a yellow tinge to my feet at one point, and fearing liver failure or similar. He asked if I had tried washing my feet.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE