big tarp problems

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
hiya guy i have just put my name down for a big 3.5 X 4m tarp.
Now i would like to know the best ways to put a tarp that big up cos at the moment i use a 2X3m and its big enough but i want a big tarp to live under when i am out and use the small tarp for just sleeping under in my hammock as such
cheers for advice its gratefully accepted
drew

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
I've got a Big Tarp and I think it's brilliant. The only difference between pitching it and a smaller tarp is that you need trees that are further apart, and you have to make sure it's taut with your prussicks.

Cheers, Michael.

Bimble

Forager
Jul 2, 2008
Stafford, England
I put mine up by throwing it over a tight rope, stake one side to the ground as a wall, and cut three poles for the front and guy these out. Tighten the tarp across the rope with two short cord to a prussic knot tied to the tarp edge.

You can now light a fire in front with the back to the wind and this is a cosy tarp shelter for not too breezy days.

A good tip here is not to have the rear wall perpendicular to the wind, angle it off just slightly as this stops the smoke from the fire being pushed back under the tarp by the wind vortex, while still providing the occupier with a wind break.

The beauty of a large tarp is that you can actually have it overhang the fire pit just slightly, as the fabric is a long way from the fire. This allows you to keep a small fire going, even in a downpour.

When I camp like this, I use my tentipi fire box (folding) as well, it burns wood better (much less smoke) and stops any embers rising as it limits the size of the fire, even when the kids get enthusiastic.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Do you use poles at the moment drew ? If not you should look at using them as it gives you a much bigger living space underneath. Take your guyline from the corner of the tarp out to a pole then down to the ground which will give youo a bigger and flatter roof.

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
another question in regards to big tarps.

in the above replys to my orginal question rich say's i should use poles to get a flatter roof for my shelter well the question is, is what can you use for poles and how do you use them. cheers drew dunn

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Any straightish sticks should do it drew, try and cut some just longer than your height so you don`t have to bob down to get under the tarp.
They don`t need sharpening to a point as the tension from the guys lines hold them in place. Just form a reef knot and drop it onto the pole then take up the slack and then down to the ground and your pegs.

reddave

Life Member
Mar 15, 2006
stalybridge
You could use long straight pieces of wood. Y'know, like the thing you burned your name into at the moot, and called it a walking stick.
Or go to B & Q and buy some pre-fluxed copper 90 degree elbows so you can insert aforementioned sticks into the holes (supplied at no extra cost). Or buy an extra 2 of 2 mtr copper tubes and a 4 mtr length of copper tube, make a fire so great that you can place the elbows and tubes into it long enough to melt the flux and then remove it from the fire, repeat on the other side. With this you will have a fixed frame to drape the tarp over and voila, a perfectly flat roof line ( +/- 10 mm deviation, taking into account dead load, construction method etc.)
Or you could buy a tent and use the carbon fibre/ aluminium rods to construct a crude teepee.
There is a tarp configuration diagram ( I think its in the download section) that should give you a myriad of possible construction methods. I think it was comprehensively covered on the moot lectures that you went to.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE