Bicycles - what do you have?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Anyone on here into cycling? If so what do you have? Looking into getting a cyclocross bike for commuting, leisure rides and light touring. Mostly on roads but with some off road on bridleways and easier tracks but will do some slightly rough stuff as I live near Lakes. Anyone got something suitable that they could recommend?

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
Had a Trek XO-1 a few years back but I didn't get on with the geometry. Great bike though.

That said, a half-decent hybrid will cope fine with the sort of stuff you're suggesting. Personally I'd give suspension a miss, always thought of it as over-rated, just a load of dead weight to carry around.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Got an MTB which hasn't been out of the house for over two years, really need to get my act together and do some miles again.

Fizzy

Nomad
Feb 8, 2010
Ash Vale
Got a Specialized FSR XC which I bought with the intention of getting back into MTBing. Hasn't happened unfortunately, so I expect it will end up on eBay very shortly:togo:

calibanzwei

Settler
Jan 7, 2009
Warrington, UK
Im currently on a ECC Charge Plug '08 or '09, a loaner from my brother.
00011538.jpg

..only a month or so until I get my own, again from the ECC, probably a Revolution Courier Classic with the works; mudguards and panniers for those 'wanna go camping NOW' moments :D
00012410.jpg

Sep 9, 2004
Kirkintilloch
I used a Trek Pathfinder for a combination of cycle path and track along a canal. It was a good bike taking me from A to B over 5 miles. After three years being hammered, and being reconditioned by a bike thief, it was time to move on. Next I got the Race version of the ECC Revolution Classic mentioned above. The Race wouldn't do well on the track but on roads and paths its great! I love this bike. I would defintely buy ECC again.

No good off road of course, but I use this for commuting, no need to book it on the train. Also keep it in the boot of the car and jump out and cycle as the feeling takes me. Handles a moderately muddy Thames Path on a regular basis....
mezzo-d10-med.jpg

1231149113134-1d44vqo23hz48-500-90-500-70.jpg

(Mezzo D10)
Then you could also have a full-on mountain bike too, if budget allows.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Commuting by bike for me consists of getting out of my house, turning onto the A6, riding for 3 minutes and out into country. Then a few villages and I'm into a small city. From there it is a case of cut across traffic before the one way nightmare and over a bridge and I'm there. 7-8 miles of brain off pedalling fun. The only hassle is the potholes that so far manages to force my rear wheel to not buckle but move to the side so it rubs the chain stay. Easy to fix but annoying. The front wheel buckles a bit though most weeks I did it. That meant a hour or so with my spoke key doing what I don't have the eye for. That is wheel truing.

The potholes managed to mess other more important parts of my bike, like the steering. Not as easy to sort out on the road. Ever tried to steer a drop handled bike with the handles slightly to one side to go forward? Easily fixed at home, even by me!! Anyway thatis why I need a new bike sometime soon.

I can't get on with flat bars. I have a problem with my hand due to a break and elbow joint problems that riding on the flat bars with the fewer possible hand positions makes rather uncomfortable after a while (crunchy elbow syndrome is what I call it). That rules most hybrids out.

There are some very tough bikes out there like those CX bikes. Reckon they will survive the potholes well. 700C x 35 tyres with carbon forks. Should soak up a few bad road surfaces and might even last long enough for the council to sort them out in about 20 years!!

Loenja

Settler
Apr 27, 2008
forest row
i got my bike bor exactly the same purpose
trek 7.3fx
with bar ends,
mud guards,
rack
speedometer
new helmet
lights
clip in shoes,
pedals,
bottle holder,
and some other bits and bobs,
just found the reciept so i actually remembered what i had, this was 16th bday present from my parents
TK10_7.3FX_1327010A.jpg

great bike, use it for almost every school day.

Magentus

Settler
Oct 1, 2008
West Midlands
I have a Falcon Stealth which is an 15 speed mountain bike I got free from Freecycle and have been using it for the last 4 years to get to work. Apart from a new inner tube it hasn't cost me a penny although I may need a new saddle soon. Of the 1 gears, I generally use 3 of them (that includes a hilly bit up to one of my workplaces). It's a great bike for me, it's black and in my head it's name is Zorro. There - I've not admitted that to anyone outside my family. Feels good. I'd love to get some panniers for it when I can save up enough, or my job starts paying more!

Magentus

grumit

Settler
Nov 5, 2003
guernsey
I have a Marin bobcat got it free last year from my boss,s son he brought a newer model and was going to dump it my last mtb was a Kirk from same source gave that one away it got stolen two days later lol

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
I have a wee Globe Vienna hybrid as my rough / winter bike
DSC04220.jpg

A Specialized Rockhopper SL Comp for messing about in the forest
DSC04519.jpg

A Trek 1.5 road bike
DSC04402.jpg

And a Specialized Langster because "gears are for queers" :cool: and i don't like white bikes :togo:
No pic but it's a stealthy black thing with no gears and it hurts when you try to go up hills :)

Bought a Felt F75 frame set last Saturday to build up through the winter and my new Campagnolo wheels should be here tomorrow.

I'm waiting for the new Focus planet 8 early next year because i want a belt drive with an internal geared hub hybrid for next summer.

I don't have a cyclocross but i was looking at the Genesis Croix De Fer 2010, my LBS has them discounted to £800, a lot of cash but an absolutely beautiful machine.
If i was looking for a cyclecross i'd be all over it - it's pure class.

siman

Tenderfoot
Oct 29, 2010
Blackpool, UK
Got a Carrera Vulcan I think it is at the moment. Used to have a Specialized SuperCross with full SRAM X.0 carbon fibre drivetrain etc but sold that to buy a lazy mans vehicle (motorbike) Bike gets used on the odd occasion the motorbike is broken or the weather is nice.

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
Hi

I got a genesis vapour cyclocross bike,
I used to to a lot of mountain biking but after a series of accidents which left me with 2 broken lumber in my lower back followed by a broken pelvis and smashed arm 2 years later I decided I would be better off with a not so extreme bike and opted for cyclocross.
I have to say I have not looked back, the cyclocross is a good type of bike for someone who has an interest in bushcraft or nture watching as it has the capabilities to get you off road to some remote places but is still good over a long distance on road.
I have been thinking of getting some saddle bags for mine and doing some touring.Umm duluth make some good looking ones, wonder if I can get em past he missus

Oct 7, 2010
Maidstone, Kent
I have a couple of On-One Inbreds (one geared, the other single speed). They are good solid machines with no frills. I would recommend On-One (www.on-one.co.uk) - they do a wide range of bikes and all the necessary bits to build/modify as well. I'm not connected to them in any way; just a happy customer keen to promote a small british company.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I liked the crois de fer too but rtuled it out as I don't think it is right for me somehow.

Someone suggested a surly cross check which is probably similar to the crois de fer in that is is a steel frame. Tiagra kit and probably expensive US bike too.

Scott CX comp at £999 looks good. Well specced for the price point. A 2010 at £875 in a local shop looks good too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE