BG again

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
The vietnamese would find it quite normal and anyone who was starving would find it quite tasty too.
In many parts of the world there are many different taboos about food In India the cow is a sacred animal and must not be eaten or harmed ,I wonder what these people feel about veal and burgers.The jewish and muslim religion prohibit eating pork I wonder what they think when they see us eating a suckling pig.I wonder what young children think when they see guinea pigs being eaten in Peru a purpose they are specifically bred for.
How do people feel when they see a rabbit being shot ,butchered and eaten?
Your argument is immature and nonsensical.
Where is he likely to find a cuddly puppy in the darkest greenery of the far east? The situation you describe is not likely to be put on an entertainment programme in this country,now is it?

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I watched it last night and I thought it was great fun. Seriously. No irony or anything.
Come on, guys - you don't really think that anyone interested in bushcraft or survival watches Bear for hints and tips, do you? It's watched for enjoyment, escapism, titilation, and just entertainment. Stop taking Bear (and yourselves!) too seriously.

YAY:You_Rock_

MancsMan

Tenderfoot
Dec 26, 2008
Manchester
The vietnamese would find it quite normal and anyone who was starving would find it quite tasty too.
In many parts of the world there are many different taboos about food In India the cow is a sacred animal and must not be eaten or harmed ,I wonder what these people feel about veal and burgers.The jewish and muslim religion prohibit eating pork I wonder what they think when they see us eating a suckling pig.I wonder what young children think when they see guinea pigs being eaten in Peru a purpose they are specifically bred for.
How do people feel when they see a rabbit being shot ,butchered and eaten?
Your argument is immature and nonsensical.
Where is he likely to find a cuddly puppy in the darkest greenery of the far east? The situation you describe is not likely to be put on an entertainment programme in this country,now is it?
No problem vies-via, the munching on hind leg of a dog or anything else for that matter, just the “entertainment value” of killing just for the sake of what is an entertainment show, primarily made for the UK market

Like wise where is the average UK urbanite going to find a Boa in leafy Timperley, those puppies are legion?

My main point is why is it seen as acceptable to kill and eat one and not the other on a UK television show?

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Probably because in the U.K. dogs are pets,and generally the world over snakes are seen as dangerous and not something to be cuddled.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I'm just wondering how many would find it "just for" entertainment if in the darkest greenery of the far east the maniacal BG, snatched a cuddly puppy out of the undergrowth, bashed its cute trusting head against a tree and proceeded to have a haunch of puppy for tea, all done in the best traditions of a take what you need mentality...

Depends on the breed. ;)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I prefer the idea of "Bacon Grills in front of the telly"
As to Boas/Pets...my sister had a pet Boa - called Monty ...coz he was NOT a Python....
She would not have liked BG eating Monty.....
I dont find BG "entertainment" but then I am not into Slapstick or Clowns....

timtom1

Forager
Sep 12, 2005
Lancs
www.barkcanoe.net
I promised myself I wouldn't get involved but lol here goes

It's also the survival 'experts' that advise on the show that need spooning to death

I actually know one of the survival experts who did an episode for BG they argue points about the writers crazy ideas but get over ruled like the whole why would you want to use a snake skin for storing pee? but yet it is possible so it goes in the show

It’s the produced and writers who need to make the show entertaining and an alternative to Mr Mears. Its all about action.

Its like the whole arguement who is better bla bla bla IMO there is no comparison they go about it in two totally different directions. Mears is about more than just Survival and BG is more about entertainment

I'll shut up now

:togo:

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Hi John,If you liked slapstick(as I do) you would see that bear grylls is to ray mears what laurel and hardy are to pickfords.
I see ray as informative and safe,whereas bear is just entertainment and should really be on the comedy channel.

That idiot did not have to kill the snake, it was done for sensationalist TV, if Grylls is told by the producers what to do, why did he not just say no? Lets face it he does it for the glory, self centered ego maniac with no thought to endangered wildlife.
He was not starving and dont for one moment think the whole film crew is without food for a few poxy days.
There is always the 5 star hotel just round the corner.
The man will never rate much above average.

D

Deleted dude 7861

That idiot did not have to kill the snake, it was done for sensationalist TV, if Grylls is told by the producers what to do, why did he not just say no? Lets face it he does it for the glory, self centered ego maniac with no thought to endangered wildlife.
He was not starving and dont for one moment think the whole film crew is without food for a few poxy days.
There is always the 5 star hotel just round the corner.
The man will never rate much above average.

YAWN, YAWN, YAWN...this still going on?

Look I don't like soaps so guess what I do? I switch off the tv! Simple! Next time Bear comes on switch off the tv....... please, for all our sakes....

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
He's not even a proper woodsman.He runs about so much his clothes actually fit him and arn't even green or oversized There is no sign of a dutch oven anywhere on his programmes. I prefer the little fat bloke who stuffs his face with double big macs and carries 50kgs of cast iron with him at all times. He's a proper bushcrafter.

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Talking of comedy, he has apparently has filmed an episode with Will Ferrell...

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
It's sensationalist TV. We are the minority. That's why Jade is now a national hero. Down with Nelson, pooh to Churchill, up with Jade!!!

Edward 'Teddy' Grylls is actually a decent guy, It's the producers that pay him stupid amounts of cash and write every episode for the masses that need to be shot, not him. I'd do it too if I got to visit the places he does and got paid that amount. It's also the survival 'experts' that advise on the show that need spooning to death for giving out crappy advice that is sure to seal your doom if you land up in such a situation and adhere to their less than wise words :censored: .

Well said Jonathan :headbang:

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
I'm just wondering how many would find it "just for" entertainment if in the darkest greenery of the far east the maniacal BG, snatched a cuddly puppy out of the undergrowth, bashed its cute trusting head against a tree and proceeded to have a haunch of puppy for tea, all done in the best traditions of a take what you need mentality...

thats the unseen south korea episode your talking about. you know I do find amazing how so many have opinions on stuff like this which hold no sway in the world outside of whatever bushcraft is meant to be. bums on seats, rm when he started with tracks was pretty vibrant and the kids wanted more and they didnt get it, instead we got a tour of the world and nothing to show for it, rm just produces drivel now with little or no content worth a mention so the best way of getting kids interested in stuff like this for someone to produce a format which works for the current market. bushcraft and survival do not make good tv for anyone except the severely anal. rm wouldnt make a good chief scout despite what some may think. not so sure about bg either but time will tell as peter duncan was pretty ineffective despite high hopes. bg aims his stuff at kids and it works. if in ten years time a fraction of them start buying ventile and titanium so they can call themselves bushcafters then be gratefull. now lofty wiseman would be a proper kickass chief scout IMO

the world of BG is no lesser a work of fiction than the bushcraft one so belittling it only makes you look bad. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE