Best way to turn the edge of a cut can?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gotte

Nomad
Oct 9, 2010
Here and there
I've got some big beer cans I'm experimenting with for windsheilds, which involves cutting in half. But I want to put a lip on the edge so there's added rigidity, and less chance of cutting myself.
I know I could cut it with tin snips and fold it over, but are there any neater tricks out there?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
You could use some needle nose pliers and crimp the edge, then use a flame to heat up the metal and make it soft enough to smooth out.

Oarsnpaddle

Forager
May 24, 2010
Greater Copenhagen
Why not use some sand paper or even one of those steel sponges/scrubbers? Or perhaps it's possible to hammer it. Or another option would be to fold just a little bit, and then fold a wider bit (I'm thinking, first fold, say, 2mm, then fold 10-12mm). The extra material would lend more to stiffness, and you'd have hidden the edge.

I don't want a stiff windshield, though. It doesn't need to be able to carry anything more than itself, so a soft, thin piece should do. I have a fairly thin windscreen, and the edges can be folded down by hand. It's plenty stiff for its intended purpose.

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
I seem to remember that you can curl the lip of a can over, using the bottem of a bottle. It was in that thread on lynx can stoves, if that helps.

Landy_Dom

Nomad
Jan 11, 2006
Mold, North Wales
I did this on a stainless buiscit barrel type thing to make a billy. It was a bit tall so I wanted to shorten it. First I cut the top off and smoothed it all off with a flappy disc on an angle grinder to get a clean, straight edge.

I then scored under that line, maybe 5mm below. Then take a pair of bull nose pliers and fold a bit, lining the pliers up with the scored line. Only bend 10 degrees or so. Move the pliers along, and bend another bit the the same angle. Once you have gone all the way round, repeat the process bending another 10 degrees or so. Be patient. Eventually you'll get down to a 90 degree bend. When I did it the outer edge got a bit raggedy, but I ground it back a bit laving a very small lip.

A bit of heat followed by very slow cooling would probably help (annealing the material).

I ended up with a lip facing 90 degrees outward. It is still not comletely rounded, but it stops chaffing on my hand when I'm scrubbing it out, which is what I set out to acheive.

Dom.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE