Best way to check a leaking goretex bivvy ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
Hi, in case anyone can help ...

I've an old but little used goretex bivvy that I've never trusted since I got soaked in it bivvying out in Ireland. I was under a tarp but in lots of rain. It must have let in nearly a quart overnight.

Tried filling it with water and looking for leaks, but nothing I could point to and say that's definately a leak. I want to start using it again but don't want to soak a good down bag (only one I have) if it plays up again.

Anyone know a better way to check them ?

Thanks

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Problem is that a lot of these leaks don't betray themselves until you put pressure or stress the fabric. Best way I'd suggest is to set it up in the rain (or get someone to use a hose on it) while you are inside it, lying on the base (which will be the most likely source of leaks). Use a torch.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Another way is to climb inside it head for and look for pin picks of light - however to have let in that much water the hole should be very visible - a pin pick sized hole would only create a damp patch at best.

As for goretex and down bags - even a leaking bivi would be good on a down bag as it would make the bag wind proof.

You sounded like your down bag was a disappointment :shock: I think down is fantastic - my old artic bag better than all the synthetic bags I have every tried except the army one and only then in cold and wet areas where I feel its bulk and weight are justified. Anywahere elae give me a light, small packing down bag! :-D

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
Gary said:
You sounded like your down bag was a disappointment :shock:

No way Gary :) My Bag's a RAB 800 gram job, light, small, excellent loft and much longer lived than the synthetics I've used before it. What I was trying to say was that I'd kick myself if I mistreated a good bag by not fixing the bivvy before camping out. (Cheers Adi - I guess I'm off to grovel in the garden next time it rains :biggthump )

As you say, even a leaky goretex does help with windproofing, it's also good for keeping the sleeping bag clean and bug free when camping in bothys and mountain huts.

I do reckon a thermarest is essential kit though. Because down compresses more than fibre, I lose too much heat downwards if I only use a karrimat (never sleep in more than a T shirt). Down bag + thermarest is the business !

Thanks guys

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE