best way of making a blowpoker?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tenderfoot

Nomad
May 17, 2008
north west uk
I just picked up a 1m length of aluminium tube at b and q. its 8mm diameter with a 5mm diameter hole through the middle.i am thinking of making a blow poker for use with kelly kettle, swiss volcano stove etc.
What does anyone think? is this suitable material? what have others used? what length is useable in practice( dont want to burn myself)

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
They are really useful.
I use broken arrow shafts for mine.
As for length, one tip I've seen is to have a short length of metal tubing with a longer length of plastic tubing.
Makes it easier to pack.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
They are really useful.
I use broken arrow shafts for mine.
As for length, one tip I've seen is to have a short length of metal tubing with a longer length of plastic tubing.
Makes it easier to pack.

and keeps the mouth end cool to blow into - as does slipping a length of rubber tubing over the pipe as a "hand-hold"!

ATB

Ogri the trog

tenderfoot

Nomad
May 17, 2008
north west uk
Aha i like the ideas! i may use some offcuts of oxygen or suction tubing from work(hospital).Its "bubble tubing" ie it widens out at intervals so depending where you cut it it fits different diameters.Should be ideal.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've used some flexible tubing I had left over from lacing my canoe and added a 4" piece of stainless tube (technical drawing pencil) to it. Having the flexible pipe makes it a little bit more practical to use, less bending over towards the fire, and you can also roll it up and stick it in your billy when you're done.

Large Sack

Settler
May 24, 2010
Dorset
Arrow shaft with removable tube.

Arrow shaft will hold 2 stainless skewers safely inside pack, I then use these either as skewers or as the basis for holding fresh caught fodder over the fire.

Cheers

Sack

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE