Best tent pegs...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

taws6

Nomad
Jul 27, 2007
Anglia
Hi

After camping out last weekend, I managed to bend every tent peg I had, the ground just seemed to be 2" of soil & grass tipped over a solid concrete carpark !!

I've straigthened them all out today, and notice as they are a mixed bag from numerous tents that some are different in design, shape & thickness than others, and wonder if there is a superior tent peg that will cope better with extreamly hard / stoney ground?

I've also seen the pegs that are like a shallow 'u' shape in section, and wonder if these are better than the traditional tent peg shape?

1 small tip I can share, is that when you only have 2" of soil to peg your tent into, they can be hit in at 5 > 25 degree angle, almost going in level, with success :)

I always take a mini claw hammer, as it's great for removing pegs, and much better than a traditional mallet too ;)

Some advise on new tent pegs please.

Thanks in advance for your replys.

Perrari

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
I also have a selection of pegs when I go camping some steel, some aluminium & the angled 'u' ones, I also have some extra long ones that I made myself from 6mm stainless steel bar which are ideal for soft ground. I remember camping in the Lakes once on a caravan club site, and had the same problem as you, but luckily the site shop had 'Hard Standing' pegs which are like 8" nails with a bar welded accross them near the top. They worked really well, but you did need a hammer to drive them in, just not enough weight in a mallet. They are now also included in the selection of pegs.

Silverclaws

Forager
Jul 23, 2009
Plymouth, Devon
Most carry a selection of pegs/stakes for most requirements, my lightweight back packing tents have thin wire type aluminium skewers, V channels and a set of pegs that take on a tri star cross section, they cover most requirements but they are always a compromise as ground conditions vary and one never has enough of the right peg to do the job as being lightweight it carry the minimum.

The cross sectional profile of pegs is the thing to consider, those with a V section, U or my tri star section are strong in length and they grip well and also they resist being beaten into mixed ground where the skewer pegs just bend but skewers have their uses and seem better in turf, so it is always a compromise.

There was a time I was back packing in the lake district and so fed up with weak alloy pegs I descended into Keswick to buy some steel and plastic pegs as my light alloy pegs were not working, so I wonder when it comes to pegs is lightweight the answer and maybe we just need to carry some good honest steel that can be bludgeoned into the ground with any available rock.

But pegging on turf, by far the best pegs I have used are wooden pegs, the type that are so rough they look like they were made out of firewood, their roughness grips the ground.

And shallow ground I have in the past used rocks as anchors by tying the guy line around mobile rocks and the short elastics on fly's a bit of string tied to it and around a rock and also in winter, snow pack the sides of the tent, the tent lacking snow flaps and it was once camping up on Yr Liwedd in North wales we packed that much snow on the sides of the tent, a Saunders Spacepacker, only two foot of tent was out of the snow, but what a fab night, how warm it was in our tent lined snow hole, mind the single hoop pole was never the same after that, but it lasted twenty odd years after and only now am I seeking a new pole set.

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I suspect the same steel spikes that Walmart uses to drive through the pavement in their carpark when they hav a tent sale would work well. Heavy though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE