Best stone for a bakestone?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Marble is great Tone - I have a piece of Marble that I bake all my freehand loaves and rolls on. It does discolour a little over time but so what? Granite is good too - offcuts from kitchen worktops work well

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I just skip dived a piece of marble (with permission) from the stone bathroom place near where I work. They were chucking loads out. I got it for leatherwork.

The only thing I'm unsure of is if it's real marble or some sort of ceramic substitute. Either way it'll do my job, maybe even make a good bake stone?

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
You could also use some clay to make one if you have any naturally occurring near you. Then you can make it to the size you need no problems.
ATB,
GB.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's the firing that's the problem with them.
Sorting out the clay is pretty straightforward, and moulding it's easy enough.

If we could get everything biscuit dry enough before we did it, we could do a pit firing down at the moot ?

M

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk

If we could get everything biscuit dry enough before we did it, we could do a pit firing down at the moot ?

M

May as well just use a big pizza plate? They aren't expensive.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com

M

We'll have the pizza oven that Tim's going to build

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
Sorry guys, can you give me a quick intro into "bakestoning"??? How do you do it? Any pics and recipies would be great, I always wanted to learn to bake simplest of breads like pita's but never knew how it was done and I thing this is the answer??,,,,

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
Sorry guys, can you give me a quick intro into "bakestoning"??? How do you do it? Any pics and recipies would be great, I always wanted to learn to bake simplest of breads like pita's but never knew how it was done and I thing this is the answer??,,,,
Here's a dead easy start one
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=116876
I recommend the river cottage book on baking bread when your getting started

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
A bakestone is just a lump of stone or pottery heated in the oven mate - You bake your (hand shaped) loaves on top of the bakestone instead of in a tin

Loaves like these are just round balls of dough put on a bakestone with a couple of knife slashes in the top

Sesame and white bread by British Red, on Flickr

My daughter plaits dough and then puts them on the bakestone - they look like this

sams bread by British Red, on Flickr

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE