Best pole for a tarp ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

hemdale

Nomad
Jan 30, 2012
London
Hi everyone,

I've recently purchased a DD Hammocks tarp (the XL version 4m x 3.5m) and I wondered what kind of pole and any specific pole you would recommand to do that ? Telescopic poles maybe ?

I'm afraid in some places I won't be able to chop down a small branch to use it as a "pole", I won't be using walking poles either.

Any recommandation is more than welcome !

Thanks

Bruce

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Have a Google for bivvy poles, you should get some decent links. I bought a pair from RVOps which have been fine.

The clothes line props from Wilkinsons work well but they're heavy and still around 4' when collapsed.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
THe other option is some walking poles - double purpose! Don't need to spend a fortune either - I got a pair of carbon poles from Aldi or Lidl - don't remember which (Blackspur, or something like that..) for about £14. Worked a treat for me, built-in shock springs, and I'm no lightweight!

munkiboi182

Jan 28, 2012
taverham, thorpe marriott, norfolk
try looking at fishing bank sticks. i bought an aluminium one from the sandringham game and country fair about 5 years ago. it has a universal female thread on each end. one end had a spike screwed in and the other had nothing but you can use any threaded rod rest or suitable bolt to hold your tarp in place. its one metre long and extends to two metres. it doesn't weigh any more than a hiking pole. i think i paid about £2 for it

http://www.flickr.com/photos/munkiboi182/8717363088/

Last edited:

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I use a Camera Monopod, this gives me more hight - just over 6', and I can use it with the camera for a steady as well....... :)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Start to use walking sticks, your knees with thank you in the future. If your not camping in the woods then take a tent.

chrisinhove

Aug 7, 2013
Sussex
I made up a tarp pole using short section half shelter poles from e-bay. Packs small and works well, but if length and price is not an issue, I'd buy the Tatonka tarp stange.

Check out "Short section tarp basha pole" on YouTube.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE