Best MVP [Goretex] Surplus Jacket for under £50?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sapper326

Jun 15, 2009
Newmarket, Suffolk
I use a US jacket in woodland camouflage, great for everything really, waterproof, tough and generally well made. The only down fall would be the size, as the jacket has a thin liner it can be a little bulky.
The British jackets don't have pockets but these can fold up very tight and can be bought cheap.
I've seen the Dutch jacket, again with most military gear it's well made. These used to be the goretex that the British squaddie wanted, mainly due to the pockets. But since the camouflage change not as desirable.

If i had the choice i'd go with the US jacket for a general wear jacket, if it's just for wet weather and you'll wear it over another jacket /jumper i'd go for the British

screwdriver

Forager
Nov 28, 2010
calne
British dpm/desert can be obtained with or without pockets.
The pocketless version was meant to be worn under a windproof smock as a waterproof liner .
The green dutch versions are very nice but getting hard to find in good condition.
Raf version is blue with no hood but has a zip in quilted liner, wheras the navy version is dark blue with hood with or without reflective strips.

dirty ben

Forager
Dec 24, 2009
somerset
I have had the french army mvp(defo not goretex)and loved it,looks great fits great and also leaked great,got shot of that and got myself an ECWCS goretex us jacket,top top quality bombproof,took it on a daywalk over Dartmoor during 2 massive hailstone storms kept me bone dry and warm,the only downside is the size and weight of the thing it is huge.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I have the British MTP pattern gore tex one without pockets, think its called a pac lite?
I really like it, not bothered at all about the lack of pockets, there's not so many Walters walking about with that pattern yet and it its lightweight, waterproof and most importantly for me, unlined. I wear my layers for the warmth and the top layer is just for waterproofing. Can't be done with padded, lined and over hot waterproof jackets.
Oh, its not got a hood, but I generally wear a hat out when it's cold anyway and I don't have to fold a spazzy hood away with it.
Its like THIS one.

singe1986

Forager
Feb 3, 2013
thirsk
i have a british army issued goretex and its to noisey for stalking i find i use the dpm combat one were issued overall better jacket but if there your only choices id go yank

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
noise issues were the reason why the pocketless mvp jackets were designed to be worn under the issue smock

Meh, if its wet enough to need the protection against the rain, the rains usually making enough noise to cover it.
Besides, as spoon carving seems to be the such a popular activity on here I can't see the bits of wood they are made of being scared off by a bit of rain noise on Gore Tex.
Now where's that innocent whistling Smilie when I need him?

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
How about the Austrian Mountain Goretex, heavier duty than the British one four pockets, olive green and about £30....:)

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I have the British army one, doesn't see any use these days but it was great when I didn't have anything else. No pockets was a pita though.

ph5172

Forager
Feb 13, 2010
Coventry
If you could, go for an older UK Gortex (with or without the pockets) the ones i have seen that i prefer have the darker cammo patten and don't look as shiny. I have seen them in the local surplus for about £25 if i recall and at that price it doesnt matter if you damage it.

On a side note have you thought of civi variants (Craghopper or the like, I know not Gortex but their variant)

Mastino

Settler
Mar 8, 2006
Netherlands
Another vote for the Dutch one. It's polycotton on the outside, and membrane on the inside. spark resistant, comfy and great value for money

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Thanks for all the suggestions.

What about the Issue ECWCS gen 1 goretex Parka in M90 swedish cam? He doesnt show a label.

Size small, but 42"-46" chest..?

Are the issue smocks a large fitting?

If this is one, its the deal of the century!

Worth a punt.

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I like the brit Desert jacket a lot; the 'cut' suits my build and there are pockets. I also noticed in Tesco yesterday they were selling Trespass jackets but didn't have time to really check them out but I think they were less than £30, black in colour.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Briti...Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item35c3e91383 and the pictures show the zip/build quality. For £35 its a good bargain.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE