Best AA / AAA torch needed without breaking the bank

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Got one this one, Ultrafire + batt's +charger off Ebay cheap as chips and good.

Ultafire batteries have a bad reputation Andy, been known to go pop fairly dramatically. Also, some of the charger are copies and don't stop charging when the battery is full.

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
Ultafire batteries have a bad reputation Andy, been known to go pop fairly dramatically. Also, some of the charger are copies and don't stop charging when the battery is full.

Thanks for the heads up mate. The battery i got is a GTF and had no probs.

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
I've been using a FENIX E01 L.E.D Torch for awhile now as a pocket torch,which take's 1 AAA battery and there a very hard wearing bright little torch.

Last edited:

Big G

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
Them small 7 led torch's from the £shops are ok.

A tad bright but for a quid ya can't complain..... :)

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Them small 7 led torch's from the £shops are ok.

A tad bright but for a quid ya can't complain..... :)

My experience with them is that they are not very robust, a bit like LED lensers in that respect. With regard to the poundland models the glass falls out or something like that at the least predictable moment. As for what it is with LED lensers I don't know but they seem to all have some fundemental flaw in switching on when you don't want them to, or not switching on when you do, which is why it was such a relief to me when maglite embraced LED's and not before time.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
Never had a problem with my lenser P7 and had it for years now, it's had a pretty hard life as it's been jammed in a site jacket pocket for most of the time and not let me down yet, would recommend to anyone.

Big G

Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
My experience with them is that they are not very robust, a bit like LED lensers in that respect. With regard to the poundland models the glass falls out or something like that at the least predictable moment. As for what it is with LED lensers I don't know but they seem to all have some fundemental flaw in switching on when you don't want them to, or not switching on when you do, which is why it was such a relief to me when maglite embraced LED's and not before time.

I've had a few of the £shop torch's over the years.. used for jobs around the house.. and a couple used as back up torch's in my packs.

They not gonna compete with the branded stuff from Fenix and Maglite.. but for a quid as a small backup torch you can't go wrong... :)

*Dusty*

Tenderfoot
Oct 21, 2011
N Ireland
I see mention of led lensers, I've run a p7 for years and it has been more reliable than my surefire and other supposedly high end lights. The only other light as robust is my fenix 10 lumen cheapie thing I can't remember the name of!!

OMark

Mar 26, 2017
UK
I'd personally opt for something that is water resistant or fully waterproof because I always seem to wreck my torches with water. There are tons of great tactical lights out there that are not too spendy. If you just need it for walking the dog, check out the streamlight a100.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Picked up CREE Q5 from this trader on Ebay and been mightily impressed. Lotta lumen’s for a small pocket torch even on the low power setting,

But If you don't mind waiting a month for shipping from China then others sell them even cheaper..

*Dusty*

Tenderfoot
Oct 21, 2011
N Ireland
Picked up CREE Q5 from this trader on Ebay and been mightily impressed. Lotta lumen’s for a small pocket torch even on the low power setting,

But If you don't mind waiting a month for shipping from China then others sell them even cheaper..

I've had a couple of them, they haven't proved to be terribly robust I have to admit.

nitrambur

Settler
Jan 14, 2010
Nottingham

I have a very similar looking torch, how do you change the power setting?

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
I have a very similar looking torch, how do you change the power setting?

A half way down / soft press of the power button on mine cycles it through the three modes of operation Full - Half - Strobe. Less expensive versions may just have a basic push till it clicks On/Off switch and no special features. Hope that helps.

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
A fan of the Maglite I have 2 X - AA mini's, I'm hearing cree & led mentioned when talking small torches... has anybody upgraded the Maglite AA mini to led, using any of these?

(1) NITE IZE Kit, @ around 9 quid includes led, reflector + tailswitch

(2) Philips 1 Watt LUMILEDS (100 lumen) @ around 9 quid led only,

(3) TerraLUX MiniStar2 Extreme (140 Lumen) @ around 23 quid led + reflector

What is the best value upgrade kit? is the most expensive worth the effort...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE