berry collector

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
It would probably be very possible to weave such a picker from shoots too. I have some willow shoots in storage, but I have a feeling that isn't strong enough for the ribs. Maybe hazel or birch saplings would be good for that.

I was originally planning on using the willow for something else, but it's such an interesting idea, that I may have to gather some more. :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Neat :D

D'you know the ancient Britons used huge versions of these on carts to gather the heads off their wheat, oats and barley crops? There's an argument that the Romans came here for the crops to feed the Empire. They'd exhausted the Sicilian farmlands (still a problem) and our green, lush Isle was just irresistable :rolleyes:

atb,
Mary

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
Does anyone remember the episode of World of Survival where the Evenk showed Ray how to use a basket and centrifulgal force to 'swipe' the berries from the low bushes?

I think this is designed for larger fruit, but y'know....

7242000_4c.jpg

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
I had a look at these a while ago. I found a rather nice old example that was used in France for collecting Myrtille (Vaccinium myrtillus - Billberry/ Blueberry etc) which can be found here;

PEIGNE À MYRTILLES - (BLUEBERRY COMB)

The side view does not seemt o work on the English page but it is seen when you put the cursor over the picture in detail on the French version here

http://museum.agropolis.fr/pages/expos/aliments/fruits_legumes/objets/peigne.htm#

It was the nearest thing I came to for an idea of how to construct one outdoors as it is made of wood, including the teeth (some metal used on the back presumably to help it last longer)

You use them literally to 'comb' the blueberry bushes, collecting the berries into a basket. The same method is still used but more often now with metal toothed ones like in Scandinavia.

The web page has some details of dimensions which may help. Looking at the image it appears the teeth are formed by cutting a series of parallel slots into a piece of wood, presumably ;with the grain' and using a hardwood. I imagine you could use a similar technique with a piece of bone such as a deer scapula perhaps which may be a bit more resilient.

It is a tradition that is continued in the Montagne Ardéchoise (Ardeche Mountain )region in the S of France, where they have an association dedicated to gathering myrtle. They have a nice graphic which shows the technique for gathering:

myrtille_2006.jpg

And a series of detail photos here;

http://www.myrtille-ardeche.com/page30.php3?lang=fr

Including this close-up of the comb in action;

photo_5.jpg

http://www.myrtille-ardeche.com/

It would be interesting to find out other techniques and utensils that used to be used for gathering other forms of fruits, berries and nuts. For instance, I can't see the comb working so well with blackberries ;) And there must be some way to reach those big juicy ones always up high and out of reach :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Nice links :D Thank you.

For blackberries, rasps and the like, you have to hold the branch and comb upwards along the underside where the berries grow. Blackcurrants grow in bunches and again you have to lift the branches......well, we did. It's quicker and less stickifying than doing it all by hand; and not so jaggy with the brambles :cool:

Fruits like blaeberries have small crisp leaves that don't get so easily caught in the tines.
I reckon a small basket and a narrow bone or antler comb would work very well for fruit collecting on bigger leaves shrubs, and the illustration Simon showed of the carved wooden one........something other than spoons and netting needles to carve, folks :D

Cheers,
Toddy

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
I’d imagine the easiest way to make something like that would be to start with a hair comb and cut away some spikes to make the gap wider. It could then be used on its own or afixed to a scoop.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
anthonyyy said:
I’d imagine the easiest way to make something like that would be to start with a hair comb and cut away some spikes to make the gap wider. It could then be used on its own or afixed to a scoop.

:D Funnily enough I'm sitting here playing with an Afro comb that I use now (got my hair cut from waist length to shoulder length recently) for beating down the weft on a tapesty loom, and was just wondering how effective those long springy, wide spaced tines would be for berries :cool:
I use a fork to strip elderberries off their stalks, so the idea is sound.

Cheers,
Mary

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE