Bernie Garland Nessmuk for sale on ebay

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
What is a nessmuk?
"Nessmuk" was the pen-name of a chap called George Washington Spears.

He was an american outdoors writer and traveller in the 1800s:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nessmuk

He designed a type of knife which has a very distinctive shape - many people have now made their own versions of the "Nessmuk" knife, but they all share similar characteristics.

best1vh1.jpg

Lots more details here:

http://www.oldjimbo.com/survival/racquette/nessmukbydale.html

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Nessmuk was the pen name of a woodsman called George W Sears.

On page 9 of Nessmuks "Woodcraft and Camping", just after the section where he describes having his double bit axe made for an exorbitant fee, you can find an interesting paragraph about his knife design...

"A word as to knife or knives. These are of prime necessity, and should be of the best, both as to shape and temper. The "bowies" and "hunting knives" usually kept on sale, are thick, clumsy affairs, with a sort of ridge along the middle of the blade, murderous-looking, but of little use; rather fitted to adorn a dime novel or the belt of "Billy the Kid," than the outfit of a hunter."
George W Sears ("Nessmuk")

nessmuk68ra.jpg

spiritofold

Banned
May 7, 2004
Winchester
www.spiritofold.co.uk
Why that shape of knife though? It dont look very practical. Im sure that its a damn good design and it does have its uses and the man himself knew what he was upto, it just looks unusual compared to the bushcraft knives we use today.

Uncle Alvah

Sep 27, 2008
Duncan NC
Very nice, JoJo!!

I like the little knife in the lower pic, in particular.

It dont look very practical.

While I have never used a Nessmuck patter, looks can be decieving.
Consider the "Canadian" belt knife patter. Looks kind of odd to me, but anyone I know who actually owns one seems to love it.

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
Why that shape of knife though? It dont look very practical. Im sure that its a damn good design and it does have its uses and the man himself knew what he was upto, it just looks unusual compared to the bushcraft knives we use today.

The reason its that shape is for skinning out,some animals give there jackets easy,some like muntjac don't,thats why the rounded shape, so you gain more meat and the hide stays intact.:)

Bernie

spiritofold

Banned
May 7, 2004
Winchester
www.spiritofold.co.uk
The reason its that shape is for skinning out,some animals give there jackets easy,some like muntjac don't,thats why the rounded shape, so you gain more meat and the hide stays intact.:)

Bernie

You learn something new everyday :)

I've just never seen that type of knife before, the name i've seen mentioned but never really thought about what it was. Now you explain it makes more sense! ;)

Thinking about it im sure i've seen knives in the butchers that are the same sort of design.

Andy >>>>>------------------------------<>

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
You learn something new everyday :)

I've just never seen that type of knife before, the name i've seen mentioned but never really thought about what it was. Now you explain it makes more sense! ;)

Thinking about it im sure i've seen knives in the butchers that are the same sort of design.

Andy >>>>>------------------------------<>

You have, that's basically exactlty what it is. Nessmuk didn't invent the pattern, he just liked it and helped to popularise it, in much the same way that James Bowie gave his name to a knife pattern that had been around for much longer than he had.

Take, for example, the Green River type trade knife....

s320x240

These types of knives were a common trade item, made by in their bazillion by blacksmiths all over, Nessmuk's illustration is just a variant on a very well worn theme. The knife in the illustration is probably just one he picked up in a trade store somewhere and liked.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE