Berkshire & Wiltshire Bushcrafters Camp (Pic Heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

The_Taffinch

Mar 31, 2014
Hungerford, Berkshire
Hi All,

Hopefully as pre-cursor to a regular meet, a small group of intrepid chaps from Berkshire & Wiltshire held an experimental camp on Friday and Saturday night. I took a few pics:

The Gang

From left to right Jim, Myself, Kevin, and Tom:
SAM_0904.jpg

The Camp

Jim's setup:

SAM_0894.jpg

Tom's rig:

SAM_0895.jpg

Kev's tarp and bivvi:

SAM_0896.jpg

My pad:

SAM_0893.jpg

SAM_0907.jpg

The Love Tent (best not to ask):

SAM_0899.jpg

Morning fire:

SAM_0918.jpg

Activities

In all honesty, most of or time was spent chilling, chatting, or larking about, but Kev at least spent some time on worthwhile activity just in case the Bushcraft Police turned up.

Here he is attempting a bow drill fire light:

SAM_0897.jpg

...and here carving a spoon which was quite good. You can see Tom 'supervising' from his control station.

SAM_0913.jpg

Sausage-cam

Jim attempted to cook some sausages by impaling them lengthwise on a widely forked stick and suspending it 2 feet above the fire:

SAM_0909.jpg

I was sceptical myself and accused him of trying boil the sausages alive which I thought was cruel. However, here is pointing out the fact that the snorkers were indeed cooking; 'slow' cooking as he termed it..

SAM_0917.jpg

Three hours later they were ready and Tom and him swore they were nice. Still not sure of this cooking method myself.

The 'Other' Camp

On the way in/out of site we noticed that someone else had been practising their skills:

SAM_0920.jpg

Our first though was that this was kids, but they seem to have been methodical about cleaning away the fire scar, plus the shelters were well made (although I'm not sure what the small one on the left is for...a dog?), plus there was no rubbish. Not the usual modus operandi of the local callow youths.

Anyway a good time was had by all and nobody died, so we will press ahead with trying to setup a more regular thing.

Cheers,
Matt.

tom.moran

Settler
Nov 16, 2013
Swindon, Wiltshire
cheers matt, been meaning to put something up. i had a great time, didnt do a lot of bushcrafting but did enjoy the time in the gorgeous ancient woodlands very very much

ill put up the pictures i got, as usual i kept forgetting to whip out my camera

setting up friday

a shot of the reflective para cord i got from MNH in action

my view saturday morning

finally got to use my sawyer mini, it filtered water out of an animal trough and im still here to tell the tale

wide opening top 'dirty' bladder

and the filter and camelback, i was using my interlink kit to backfill the camelbak

we did a bit of shooting with my crossbow, and played winner stays on looser drinks rum :lmao:

i took a few panorama shots and tried out the google globe thing(not too sure it worked that well tbh

kev found what he said was a immature stinkhorn? i dont know anything about fungus....

dinner time

and clearing away

fire

what fire

looking forward to our next outing :)

Last edited:

Kev T

Jun 23, 2013
Swindon
Nice pics and write ups lads. Thanks Matt for the invite, I had a great time and I look forward to our next meet. :camping:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE