Berghaus vs Maxpedition

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DFCA

Nomad
Aug 11, 2009
Monmouthshire
I'm thinking of buying a Berghaus Centurio following some good reviews etc. (side pouches, dry bag and prob something to attach to the back like a karrimor omni).
My problem is, I would love maxpedition stuff but find myself agreeing with the whole "bolt on" flappy stuff detractors.
I'd be grateful if anyone would offer their opinions on both, either or whatever. I've not specified a maxpedition pack as I'm not sure what it would need to be to be comparable to the Berghaus, I should say that it would have to have 2 straps, can't quite get the idea of 1, care to enlighten me?
As for use, general day trips and overnighters.
I'd love to hear what you guys think.
All the best
Dave.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Depends on the style and material you want.

I've been using the "Osprey Manta" rucksacks for a while now and have found them to be the best rucksacks i've ever used.
It has a hydration container installed that holds 3 litres
Has a mesh rear with a frame that holds the packs away off your back slightly to stop a lot of the sweaty back syndrome
Waterproof cover that's stowed away in the bottom
And it has a life time guarantee.

I'm THAT impressed i tend to use it for everything now, from hardly full day hikes to packed full weekender's.

http://www.ospreypacks.com/en/product/hydration_packs__osprey_hydraulics/manta_30

DFCA

Nomad
Aug 11, 2009
Monmouthshire
I have a Berghaus freeflow - I use it for lightweight stints - has a similar set up to the Ospreys. I like it but I suppose for longer and less lightweight stints I am after something of the Berghaus/MaxP ilk (am I being tempted to the dark side of tacticool!!)

DFCA

Nomad
Aug 11, 2009
Monmouthshire
ahhhh, makes sense now :) Still not for me though, two straps it is.

so, anyone know how a cenrurio would fit a tall chap at all? And MaxP, what would be equal in carry?

its a lotta money to shell out you see and I'd rather be as well informed as possible

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Hi,

The Centurion has a very short back as its a sort of updated Munro. Which means that the waist belt is not going to be much use in distributing the weight of the loaded pack between shoulders and hips. If you look at the waist belt on it Berghaus don't even pretend is there to help share any weight as it's totally unpadded

This is not a problem per se for a day sack as the weight in it is likely to be manageable for most non military folk, although with a comprehensive trad climbing rack and stuff for a day on a mountain route the weight will be up there...

Add on a couple of side pockets and some MOLLE pouches and the carrying capacity and likely weight you'll carry will increase which you'll end up carrying on your shoulders.

If your going to lug it a couple of k from the car to the bushcraft camp then not such an issue if it's over a longer distance and tougher terrain then you'll likely find the waist belt and proper transfer of weight a real benefit....

I think there are a lot of better packs out there TBH if your using it in a Military context then it may have more to offer...

Rockmonkey

Settler
Jan 12, 2012
uk
I don't know if this helps, but after many years of pack changes i am down to my favourite 4. Depending on what i am doing!
Holiday pack- WEB-TEX 3/4 SIZE PLCE (OLIVE) 90L
Big day sack - Karrimor Sabre Delta 35L
Day sack - WEB-TEX PATROL PACK 38L
Technical pack - PATROL MOLLE ASSAULT PACK TACTICAL RUCKSACK 30L OLIVE- Lots of pockets (Ebay)

My delta 35 is the one i usually grab - bloody comfy no matter how full!

All these packs are rough and tough, and would be worth a look at...In my opinion.

Hope this helps

Haydn

DFCA

Nomad
Aug 11, 2009
Monmouthshire
That's really helpful chaps - thank you. I was worrying about the back size of the centurio, seems it may be an issue, shame as I'm quite taken by it and I am a bit of a berghaus fan.
So what are the maxpedition full packs like for back length, anyone able to shed light?
I think is going to be a problem regardless with a smaller pack. My freeflow has a adjustable back and even on maximum it still leaves the belt high.
I'm a bit over 6'5" btw, any recommendations at all for a long back?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE