Bergan modifications

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dean4442

Nov 11, 2004
Wokingham UK
Hi there, I have a good old olive green place Bergan that I was thinking about getting some mods done on. Mostly the wider shoulder straps and lumbar pad, the the triple pouches and basha pouch above.
Has anyone had these done or is it just not worth the cash, also how much did it set you back?
Cheers Colin.

Big G

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
Give bilmo a maker on the forum a shout, he'll be able to sort the mods you want doing on the bergan.

Or at least give you some good advice :)

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Jayjays or Dixes are who you want to talk to. Extra padding to the straps is a good choice, with padding to the belt and back if you don't wear it with belt kit.

Tonyuk

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Personally I don't think its worth the cash, the issue bergan is a pretty big beast as it is without more storage space. I'm guessing if you want to improve the comfort than you're carrying a lot of weight in it? Could you take less gear or gear that is lighter / packs smaller? Although its not a bad bit of kit I don't think the back system is the best for heavy loads compared to other big Bergan's that are available.
You can get a brand new Vulcan for £80 - £100 and a mint second hand Karrimor for around £120, having used all three the issue bergan is the least comfortable for sure. I don't know how much mods are but by the time you've factored in all the costs I would wonder whether you're as well getting a new ruck? My other concern is where the load is if you get the mods? I have a 45 ltr clam shell style patrol pack I like a lot but its quite a wide / deep design and when fully loaded feels like its pulling me over backwards and isn't a very comfy carry.

dean4442

Nov 11, 2004
Wokingham UK
I won't be carrying too much weight it's more the bulk of things like the hammock cocoon/ quilt and underblanket etc. I have the bergan sitting there and am used to it from my time in the forces but also like the alice pack with the pockets on the outside and thought that with the mods it would come close to that.
Colin

Treemonk

Forager
Oct 22, 2008
Perthshire
I can vouch for the quality of work and service from Dixie's. Lumbar mod would likely not be worth it if you are not planning on big weight, you'll not be chafing from a light load. Did look and feel good on the demo Bergen in the shop though. I got my old Roc modded with wider straps and have to say that it makes a difference for all loads. Very comfy indeed - no rounding whatsoever, very even distribution. I also got mesh side pockets added. Very versatile for wet tarps and waterproofs, or for water bladders, whilst not adding the width of side pockets. Check out the Dixie jungle mod for ideas there. I'll likely get my Vulcan straps widened to match some time the Roc I like them so much.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
I won't be carrying too much weight it's more the bulk of things like the hammock cocoon/ quilt and underblanket etc. I have the bergan sitting there and am used to it from my time in the forces but also like the alice pack with the pockets on the outside and thought that with the mods it would come close to that.
Colin

If your not carrying much then try to get it all in the main compartment. You want the weight close to your body not hanging far out on extra pouches.

Tonyuk

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
The lumbar pad i think is worth being big, as users of the exped lightning testify it helps transfer the weight, and in my own opinion stops the pbag slipping down to the pelvis.

Is wider straps a sort after thing -ve done it before and liked it, i also put vertical straps to the hip belt. I find only a small part of the shoulder shtraps touches the shoulders due to the angle they come down at. By small part i mean a strip up and down each strap.

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
Back pad and straps are well worth doing. IMHO JayJays do better straps so i would go with them. You can look on the website for cost mate. They also do a postal service. Waiting time is around 2 weeks.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Apr 12, 2014
middle earth
Give HM Supplies a call. They have a 'Ronon' day sack which they will mod to your exact specifications. I got mine altered by getting the outer pouch made into a triple pouch. So the pack is now like a modern version of medium Alice pack. It can comfortably handle loads up to 15 - 18kgs.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

mvmbushcraft

Feb 28, 2013
Glasgow
hi Tony - sorry old thread -
quick question
you mention

Jayjays
Dixes

for backpack modifications

- are they BushcraftUK forum members?
(pardon the ignorance here)

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
This is a PLCE Bergen I modified in 2010 everything is still working fine!
DSCF4122.jpg

i added extra clips so up to 4 sidepouches could be attatched not because I want to hurt my back,but it allows the pouches to be carried in the middle back rather than the sides.I can't think why, perhaps if walking through woods with narrow gaps, or if you wanted to use the side straps to carry tools of some sort.
DSCF4123.jpg

an extendable lid was also simply added by adding straps. This is probably the easiest mod, as it only involves cutting off the lid and adding the required straps and buckles.
DSCF4163.jpg

I really wanted to modify the back and shoulder strap area wider softer straps and more supportive waist strap, but still can't figure out how to without seriously changing the design of the back and potentially damadging the bag (or my back) forever, but even so I'd need a more industrial sewing machine, doing it by hand would take hours...if not days!

I've updated the top pouch it now has clips and loops so it can be used with the side pouch yoke.

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51433

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE